Rota Wheels. Durability Article.

Shadow1

Reaction score
lol. this real vs. fake debate is never going to end. people with money in the tuner world will always look down on the ones who spend out of excess(buy parts when they can). not every one can spend $1400+ on a set of rims then another $500 on tires. its stupid. even if i had money, id still rock a set of XXRs or Rota. id PROBABLY have one set of BBS wheels for the simple fact that i like the design.

i was looking at some rims the other day that were Works. they were a knock off of some rims that were back from the 80s. all rims are knock offs. unless they're the rims you pay $1200 a piece for, they're knock offs of some sort. the only rims i know arent knock offs are the Vossen wheels. ive looked all over for some that look like them(because yea, i dont have $2400 for a set of 20s nor do i want 19s or 20) and i cant find any that look even remotely like them.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
My comment in that thread summed it up, regardless of the wheel, it can happen, for whatever reason.

I don't think there is enough solid proof that 'fake' wheels are any more prone to self destruction than 'real'.

There should always be concern when buying a knock off item, about it's structural integrity, but that doesn't mean something WILL happen.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Real Rota wheels is like fake counterfeit money. Does not work haha. I have nothing against Rota though - they are legit in my book as a market competitor.

LowerMyCG5

Reaction score
Real Rota wheels is like fake counterfeit money. Does not work haha. I have nothing against Rota though - they are legit in my book as a market competitor.

This.

I like some rotas, and some xxr. But i think what puts me off of them is that every car has them. Like almost every civic and integra has rota slips or xxr 002. Its getting old. I would rock a set of polished p45r

truWarier02

Reaction score
To be honest, I could care less about whether wheels are real or fake. For a DD, just about any wheel is fine. And it's simple, live within your means/budget.

And it's not always the case that people are "ballin" just because they are swapping "legit" wheels like every month. I mean, once you can save up for a set of used "legit" wheels, for say $1400, all you have to do is trade for some other used "legit" wheels when it's time for a new setup and it's like an ongoing cycle from there. It'll seem like you have a lot of money when in fact all you're doing is saving several hundred more dollars towards your first purchase of "legit" wheels rather than "knockoffs" and you'll always have a nice set of "legit" wheels. Of course when you have a set of XXR's or Rota's, you'll always be stuck with "fake" wheels if you do straight up trades. Only a few actually can afford to keep different sets at one time.

And sorry for using a lot of quote on quote's because the words legit, ballin', or fake are pretty much subjective.

slowrider87

Reaction score
I personally think it's funny that people classify wheels as "real" or fake".

Observe...
www.dictionary.com said:
wheel [hweel, weel]
noun
a circular frame or disk arranged to revolve on an axis, as on or in vehicles or machinery.
any machine, apparatus, instrument, etc., shaped like this or having a circular frame, disk, or revolving drum as an essential feature: a potter's wheel; roulette wheel; spinning wheel.

www.dictionary.com said:
re·al1    [ree-uhl, reel]
adjective
true; not merely ostensible, nominal, or apparent: the real reason for an act.
existing or occurring as fact; actual rather than imaginary, ideal, or fictitious: a story taken from real life.
being an actual thing; having objective existence; not imaginary: The events you will see in the film are real and not just made up.
being actually such; not merely so-called: a real victory.
genuine; not counterfeit, artificial, or imitation; authentic: a real antique; a real diamond; real silk.

Plenty would argue with me using #5 as determining whether or not a wheel is "real". But remember what the article said. If it is manufactured as it's own brand, sold as its own brand, and used or displayed as its own brand then it is in fact, despite visual appearance and design, not an imitation. I could have left #5 out to avoid those who wish to get argumentative, but i figure if i'm presenting facts i will go ahead and present them in their entirety.

All the wheels we put on cars are exactly as the above definition says. Now look at definition 2-4 under "Real". All of our wheels do in fact "have objective existence", and are "being an actual thing". No part of those definitions mention anything about the materials used to make an object to determine if it is "real". The same goes for the following...
www.dictionary.com said:
fake1    [feyk] Show IPA verb, faked, fak·ing, noun, adjective
verb (used with object)
prepare or make (something specious, deceptive, or fraudulent): to fake a report showing nonexistent profits.
to conceal the defects of or make appear more attractive, interesting, valuable, etc., usually in order to deceive: The story was faked a bit to make it more sensational.
to pretend; simulate: to fake illness.
to accomplish by trial and error or by improvising: I don't know the job, but I can fake it.
to trick or deceive (an opponent) by making a fake (often followed by out ): The running back faked out the defender with a deft move and scored.

It's says nothing about material makeup or methods other than "trial and error" but trial and error is only a factor in the research and development process, not the manufacture, sale, and use of a finished product.

What i gather from the article is not only that rota's get a lot of unfair bad reputation. But also that a cast wheel is just as capable of doing the things a forged wheel can under normal road or paved track conditions in lower class racing.

Back