Started my DIY head polish today

CHID0

Reaction score
Got a little bit more done. Exhaust ports cleaned, polished and I started a mild port.

Random005.jpg

Random006.jpg

Random007.jpg

I'll be doing a bit more cleaning/polishing on the exhaust side before moving onto the intake side. Jason, if you can give me some insight on clearances around the intake ports, that would really help alot. I'm going to order a new intake gasket today so i know how much metal to take off. Then I'm going to attempt to port match the header too. I have a spare tucked away.

lashlee

Reaction score
I know it's not exactly the same thing, but an old friend of mine used to do some port work on four cylinder street bikes. I know the power gains are there, and in a bike obviously the higher rev limit has to do with it, but look into reduce porting the exhaust ports. There is some topics on the net, and you also have to be careful of the ports being too smooth.

He currently races a Kawasaki ZX-10 that has been thoroughly gone through, and reduce ported it, as well as many other bikes. He also has a dyno to back up many of the motors that he has done. Depending on the power that you are looking for, and the use of the motor it may be worth looking into. He even started working the same magic on four stroke four wheelers and bikes with the new style of race four stroke motor, like YFZ, YZF, KXF, and CRF motors.

In most cases, the gains were in the midrange. Like I said to begin with it's not entirely the same, but since you are willing to experiment it might be worth it.

Last edited:

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
i heard sucking a bag of sand through the intake is a good easy way to port and polish your IM-HEAD-EXHAUST all at once. why didnt you try that?

lawl

CHID0

Reaction score
I know it's not exactly the same thing, but an old friend of mine used to some port work on four cylinder street bikes. I know the power gains are there, and in a bike obviously the higher rev limit has to do with it, but look into reduce porting the exhaust ports. There is some topics on the net, and you also have to be careful of the ports being too smooth.

He currently races a Kawasaki ZX-10 that has been thoroughly gone through, and reduce ported it, as well as many other bikes. He also has a dyno to back up many of the motors that he has done. Depending on the power that you are looking for, and the use of the motor it may be worth looking into. He even started working the same magic on four stroke four wheelers and bikes with the new style of race four stroke motor, like YFZ, YZF, KXF, and CRF motors.

In most cases, the gains were in the midrange. Like I said to begin with it's not entirely the same, but since you are willing to experiment it might be worth it.

I'll look into that. As for power, I really don't have a goal just messin around trying something different. About the port being too smooth, I know about that and it's especially the case on the intake side. That side should feel a bit rough to the touch. The exhaust side can be smooth though...

i heard sucking a bag of sand through the intake is a good easy way to port and polish your IM-HEAD-EXHAUST all at once. why didnt you try that?

lawl

I did try it, this is the motor i tried it on :sad:

Deshon2688

Reaction score
I know this thread is really old, but I was just about to ask if anyone had tried any DIY porting and polishing...

CHID0, how did this project turn out?

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
i did a small pnp by myself, but if you want performance, take it to a professional

Deshon2688

Reaction score
yeah I figured as much, I wouldn't expect any big gains from a DIY, just thought it'd be interesting to experiment with.

CHID0

Reaction score
yeah this is sitting in my closet with all my other near complete projects i have started. I don't expect big gains out of this, my reason for doing this is just for sh!ts and giggles, plus i had a spare motor that i got for peanuts that had a bad valve. I don't expect to have this head on for long anyway :hide:

I plan on re-starting this project soon, picked up a new exhaust valve and started sorting through the parts. :coffee:

Updates soon.

Back