Steering flex? *Vid inside*

ihaveaquestion

Reaction score
Been having this issue for a while now. Replaced the mounts fixed 95% of flex but after all said and done, I am still getting a bit of flex as shown in the video:

http://youtu.be/CjQE0Y5Hwb0

The result of this flex is that my steering makes wobbly noise on rough road. I am just wondering do ya'll get a flex like this? If not, I am seriously considering getting a replacement steering column off ebay...

Thanks much!

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score
I can't see any flex in your video, just looks like your trying to get to third base with your steering wheel.

simon_y

Reaction score
I don't know what you're doing in that video, but it looks awkward.

I assume your wheel is wobbling. Have you tried removing the airbag and tightening that 17mm bolt that holds the steering wheel to the column?

ihaveaquestion

Reaction score
Well, my bad. The flex is almost not visible in the video. I was pushing up against the wheel, if you turn up the volume, you will hear a click sound.

Btw, I just discover the only time there is no flex is when the steering is locked. I've re-tightened the wheel bolt, so that can't be the issue.

Last edited:

ihaveaquestion

Reaction score
Hey, can anyone do the same test next time driving in the car and report back?

Btw, anyone know how the steering wheel gets locked, mechanically speaking? If I know how it works, perhaps I can pinpoint the culprit in my steering column, or god-forbidden rack & pinion.

001Stunna

Reaction score
printalldatadiycom1999h.jpg

ihaveaquestion

Reaction score
Hey Stunna, in a word...

AWESOME!

I am going to try the fix later today. Whether this fixes the problem or not, you deserve my rep!

Btw, do you work for Honda? Otherwise, how do you find info like this?

Back