Subwoofer Help!!

doubleclutch

Reaction score
Alright so i have 2 12in Kenwood subs all hooked up to a kenwood amp with a kenwood receiver. yes i love kenwood. My problem is i keep blowing the fuse on the amp power wire. not like blowing the fuse, but the actual fuse holder is melting. I'm assuming its just a bad power wire and I need to replace it. So anybody want to recommend a good power wire for a reasonable price?

blackcord

Reaction score
Alright so i have 2 12in Kenwood subs all hooked up to a kenwood amp with a kenwood receiver. yes i love kenwood. My problem is i keep blowing the fuse on the amp power wire. not like blowing the fuse, but the actual fuse holder is melting. I'm assuming its just a bad power wire and I need to replace it. So anybody want to recommend a good power wire for a reasonable price?

If your fuse holder is heating up then most likely, the wires going into/out of the holder needs to be tightened up. Any loose connection will cause resistance and therefore heat buildup. Try that and go from there.

gt58

Reaction score
knukonceptz ftmfw

slightly cheaper but will definitely get the job done : https://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KCA4R

a tad big more expensive but will be great : https://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KFX4R

also, make sure you have a quality fuse holder. first check to see if the connections are solid, if they are you might have an inferior fuse holder

while youre on the site might as well pick up one of their inline fuse holders and save on shipping. https://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=FH-20

match fuse rating of your amp to the fuse size you select in your inline fuse holder.

schmiddr2

Reaction score
It's a shorted wire. Most likely the positive wire. Disconnect the amp and see if it still melts the fuse holder. If so then you need to track the positive wire back until you find the short.

Do you have a fuse next to the battery? If so how many amps? And what size wire?

doubleclutch

Reaction score
its a 10 gauge wire. looked into it and the brand is notorious for having bad fuse holders. so i will check the connections and then if that doesnt fix it im just going to replace the fuse holder. thanks for all the info! and i would replace the wire completely but thats gonna cost a pretty penny and is a pain to do, so im gonna avoid doing that for now lol

gt58

Reaction score
10 gauge... yikes. that cant push two 12's properly.

i HIGHLY suggest changing that out. ask any guy on here, 10 gauge is dangerous and cant carry the amps your amplifier wants for the TWO twelves. i could only see someone using 10 gauge on a weak 4 channel, but even then i would run high quality 4 or 8 gauge to my 4 channel. i bet that wire is getting hot af. spend the 80 or so now to prevent more damage to your car later on. bad wire/wiring is known to start car fires. how much would that cost you?

think about it

doubleclutch

Reaction score
10 gauge... yikes. that cant push two 12's properly.

i HIGHLY suggest changing that out. ask any guy on here, 10 gauge is dangerous and cant carry the amps your amplifier wants for the TWO twelves. i could only see someone using 10 gauge on a weak 4 channel, but even then i would run high quality 4 or 8 gauge to my 4 channel. i bet that wire is getting hot af. spend the 80 or so now to prevent more damage to your car later on. bad wire/wiring is known to start car fires. how much would that cost you?

think about it

Yea electrical is not my strong side. thanks for the advise. im gonna take those links you posted and order some wire. until then, im gonna unhook the sub just in case.

sajin

Reaction score
Do you know of a guide which contains info for 1-ohm loads and higher RMS power charts? I wonder if I have the correct wiring, spedifically for the 1-ohm load, since I have extra wire currently so I can take it out of car w/o disconnecting woofers from the amp. Nothing has ever melted, cut off, blown fuse, anything what-so-ever so i'm pretty sure it's just fine.

I have a Power Acoustik 5500 watt amp with two 15" Kicker CVXs. I also have an extra Optima yellow top battery in the trunk with a capacitor. No dimming with this either. I can leave car off and voltage will only drop ~.2 volts on max settings. I can't even tell of any voltage drop while the car is on.

IMG_1990_zps7ee0c578.jpg

Back