Transmission starting to go...slipping...

Griffeycom

Reaction score
Ok, so I know the drill here, likely my transmission is going out on my 01 Accord 4CYL. I'm just curious for those with experience, how long can I drag it out? In all honesty it only slips from 2-3 when it's COLD outside, 40F and below and only on the first and maybe second shifts of the day, by the time the engine reaches norm temp it doesn't slip again until the next morning.

Ideally, two more years is what I'd like to get out of this car, is that even a possibility? Also, my clearcoat is failing so I need to slow that process also as much as possible.

mx5kev

Reaction score
Hey,

Sorry for you, you could try a flush with ATF DW1 but it could get worse as well as it could get better.

You can wait until your trans goes out totally, but it"s really unsafe to drive when it starts to slip heavily. I drove mine a bit with a dead tranny, and it was sometime a problem when slipping uphill with someone following you.

Griffeycom

Reaction score
When I checked the fluid the other day it seemed fine. Tomorrow of I get a chance I'll compare with my civcs fluid to make sure colors are close.

I am planning on changing the fluid soon. Warm day today and not a single hickup.

mx5kev

Reaction score
If you're trans wasn't serviced regularly, be careful, when flushing it, most of the time it will definetely break.

In France it happens a lot on Honda automatic gearbox, because dealers, or mechanics do not flush automatic gearbox, or when it is too late and the trans dies...

Griffeycom

Reaction score
I'll likely only do drain and fills. I don't think it's worth the risk to flush it. Another day and so far no more slipping. It really only happens when it's really cold out but again I know it's coming to an end. I just want to make it last as long as possible.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
when they get old

they get dark-filled w/ junk
-they claim this helps seal, BS

they loose viscosity
-the ability to hold pressure

simplest ways to check, smell like ATF? No-replace it. Wipe dip stick on WHITE paper towel, see black crud? Yes-replace it.

Drain and Fill, I did honda flushes, sometimes you set an MIL from pressure loss. I stick by D&F only, on my own stuff.

Clevor

Reaction score
When it comes to these 1998-2002 Honda trannies, I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

I have a V-6 tranny I am trying to rebuild now. I can see why these trannies have problems. The internal filter is felt material, and Honda relied on fine mesh screens all over the place to catch large debris. These often get clogged easily with clutch material. The valves in the valve body often hang up so the bores need to be honed on a rebuild. Most rebuilders don't check the pump clearances and those trannies are doomed to failure. The tranny also has converter flow issues and needs mods. In addition, some critical bore clearances are wrecked if the tranny died and circulated debris, and the tranny shops are ignorant where this is occurring.

These issues have been brought to light by this valve mod kit by Translabs:

http://www.americanpowertrainwarehouse.com/servlet/the-57/honda-b7xa-bdga-acura/Detail

Finally somebody who is a tranny guru has taken a serious look at this tranny. The kit comes with 2 pages of double sided tech material which discusses the above. Rebuilding auto trannies is not for the feint of heart, so I suggest that people buy the kit and have a rebuilder install it. They will charge you extra for following the instructions, doing the valve body mods, and checking the clearances, but at least somebody finally figured out how to fix these POSs which Honda is not owning up to. As the gorillas at the rebuild shops are creatures of habit, expect them to charge maybe $200 for the mods and labor. But add $94 for the kit and it's cheap insurance on a $3,000-3,500 rebuild.

I might add the tech material sheets on the kit are dated late 2013, so looks like help is finally on the way. The kit is manufactured by Translab BTW, and these guys are bonafide nerds when it comes to automatic trannies. In developing the kit, they have done testing with 50 Honda/Acuras.

rebornS14

Reaction score
that's awesome. and they have one for the 4cy auto. i might want to try this seeing i have 2 of these cars. too bad i didnt find this before i did the rear main on one of them.

thanks for sharing.

Back