Turbo piping: the bigger the better?

mraw112

Reaction score
Re: Turbo: the bigger the better?

Aluminum can be welded with an ok mig.

What size turbo do you plan on running. That will determine what your pipe size should be. Volumetric efficiency usually drops after mach .5 to .6 with air flowing past the intake valve. Ive never seen graph for Ve vs mach index for fluids flowing through a pipe but its probably near the same. So find the amount of cfms the turbo will be displacing and then solve for ideal pipe size aiming the max velocity of flow through the pipe at .5 mach.

If you dont feel like doing that. 2.5 in pipe would probably be fine for you. If your really cheap go to a muffler shop and just buy a good length of pipe. Try to bead the ends of any pipes you use, and make sure you get decent clamps and couplers.

MurkyRiversTL

Reaction score
Last edited:

cantafordaccord

Reaction score

I bought 2.5 inch aluminum piping and u bends from columbia mandrel bends google them if you want.

you only need 3 u bends and 6-7 feet of straight pipe at the most. I bought 4 u bends and 8ft of straight pipe I have a few extra feet left over but I am happy!

I could have used less piping and bends but I wanted it perfect first time around.

as for ic piping thers no need to go bigger or smaller than 2.5" even on bigger hp set ups.

EmMinODaGreaT

Reaction score

Just for reference you should size your turbo properly for the hp you are trying to achieve, it will make it so you have great spool time, and a great power band

My person IC piping is 2" from the turbo (hot side) to 3inch on the cold side.

The smaller/shorter the IC piping the less work your turbo has to do to fill it, less boost drop through the intercooler setup, which is good.

cantafordaccord

Reaction score

Just for reference you should size your turbo properly for the hp you are trying to achieve, it will make it so you have great spool time, and a great power band

My person IC piping is 2" from the turbo (hot side) to 3inch on the cold side.

The smaller/shorter the IC piping the less work your turbo has to do to fill it, less boost drop through the intercooler setup, which is good.

2" and 3" piping is holding the same amount of air as 2.5" piping assuming that you have the same length of each however your 2 " hot side could choke your power but I doubt it since the turbos outlet is 2" as well.

in reality though it would make more sense to put the bigger piping on the hot side and smaller piping on the cold. since warm air is much less dense (compact) than cold air :boink:

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score

Foodz fer thoughtz! ^ haha

Columbia Mandrel Bends is a good site for sure, I bought all my exhaust bends through them.

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score

just stick with normal 2.5" thats normal size for most DDs.
I just ordered 5-mandrel bend 90 degree pipes,1-45 degree,and 2-4ft of straight pipe.along with T-Clamps and 4ply silicone couplers. HKS weld on flange..Still cheaper than kits online :)

as for boost leak tester,very cheap to make,saves tones of headache.
pretty much places a cap on 1 end of the IC piping and one with a valve steam in the other and pressurize the system/pipes..You will be able to hear the leak(If any)
should cost more than 20$ to make.
theres different routes to test also.that show leaks in the IM and such,just research

9450erick

Reaction score

thanks all of u guys for the help this these websites really helped a lot
especially that beading project. very necesary and very cheap. thats the way i like it lol

9450erick

Reaction score

how can i change the title to include (piping) in the title
so when ppl click on the search botton about turbo piping they can find this thread.
thread has a lot of good info, thats overlooked wen doin the turbo set up

Back