V6 spindle swap: Driveaxle won't go back in!

cvjoint

Reaction score
I'm freakin' out a bit I got the spindles swapped to the V6 5 lug ones in the last two days but I can't get the fourth one back in. When I pulled out the 4 cylinder spindle out the driveaxle that goes in the middle came out a bit with it.

Needless to say I've been rotating and pushing it in all day but it's not working out. It's about 2 inches too far out and I can't get the spindle back in there. This is the passenger side one. I have a 2000 2dr EX.

It's the part that goes in the transmission that's being stubborn I think. There's 2 inches of grease on the axle that shouldn't be there if it were in the way it's supposed to.

Anybody know how to fix? Should I mess with the gears more, like neutral to first gear and so on?

I'm a newb, I searched, nothing comes up, even on Google.

TheHunter

Reaction score
Give it some time... theres some guys here who have done it, they can probably help. If all else fails you can ask Ken (NASOHC) for help and offer some cash, and he can probably come help you, he's done the 5 lug conversion.

cvjoint

Reaction score
I'm stranded at my parent's house in Desert Hot Springs, it's hot, it's far and it's nasty down here lol

cvjoint

Reaction score
You're using v6 axles on an I4? Why? Should be able use the old axle on the new hubs

What? No, I'm just swapping the 4 cyl spindle/hub/brakes out to get the V6 ones in. I'm still using my 4 cyl axles. I got it swapped at 3 corners so far, but the passenger side is a no go, the axle popped out a few inches and won't go back in.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
What? No, I'm just swapping the 4 cyl spindle/hub/brakes out to get the V6 ones in. I'm still using my 4 cyl axles. I got it swapped at 3 corners so far, but the passenger side is a no go, the axle popped out a few inches and won't go back in.

Pm Blackurrantkord

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Put it in neutral and shove/hammer (with a rubber mallet) it back in. It'll go.

Drift

Reaction score
The tulip probably probably popped out at the base of the axle. Hold the base and try spinning the end slightly it should pop back in with a little force.

cvjoint

Reaction score
Tried the bruteforce method for about an hour with no success. I ended up taking the driveaxle boot out and inspecting the problem. The "tulip" as Drift called it on the Accord looks kinda like this:
IMG_0163.jpg

but... it also has square metal blocks that freely spin with the round ones. The round ones I imagine are easily put into place, but on my car the square blocks need to be aligned too. With the boot out it took me about 30 minutes of individual adjustment to get it right so it slides in, what a :madrun:

I'd say make sure you keep that axle from sliding out if you do anything that requires removing the spindle. Zip tieing the booth to some control arms keeps it from coming out.

People say mechanic work is a dirty job, you haven't seen half of it until you mess with a greased axle boot!

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Tried the bruteforce method for about an hour with no success. I ended up taking the driveaxle boot out and inspecting the problem. The "tulip" as Drift called it on the Accord looks kinda like this:
IMG_0163.jpg

but... it also has square metal blocks that freely spin with the round ones. The round ones I imagine are easily put into place, but on my car the square blocks need to be aligned too. With the boot out it took me about 30 minutes of individual adjustment to get it right so it slides in, what a :madrun:

I'd say make sure you keep that axle from sliding out if you do anything that requires removing the spindle. Zip tieing the booth to some control arms keeps it from coming out.

People say mechanic work is a dirty job, you haven't seen half of it until you mess with a greased axle boot!

You better make sure that boot is clipped on again....also make sure u replace the grease you lost. And there are far more dirty things than messing with cv boots....

Back