Valve adjustment question

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Lose valves will be a little hard on the cam lobes, other than that. Your really at no risk provided its not that bad.

If you cannot afford a mechanic, I suggest you pick up a haynes manual. Borrow someones tools and do it yourself. You will save a lot of money down the road and your car wont run like $hit later on and cost you more money.

MrLazie1

Reaction score
loose valves, hmm if your valves are not closing on time or not tight, it be but burning your gas and not having all the exhaust gases exiting. and if its too loose, you may have you piston also contact your valve and cause a bent valve and you would have to do more labor work and more cost.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
loose valves, hmm if your valves are not closing on time or not tight, it be but burning your gas and not having all the exhaust gases exiting. and if its too loose, you may have you piston also contact your valve and cause a bent valve and you would have to do more labor work and more cost.

What are you talking about???????????????????????????????

finch13

Reaction score
That video sounds normal for a Honda and a cold start. With some miles on the engine, you're gonna get some valve noise and/or piston slap. If it sounds THAT bad after reaching operating temp, I'd do an adjustment.

And if you're not mechanically inclined, I wouldn't DIY. You have to line up the cam gears and follow the procedure to a T or it'll probably run worse than when you started.

ka7end

Reaction score
im having a similar problem as well, only during idle, neutral, low rpm. how much dose it cost to repair it? parts and labor?

Drift

Reaction score
Valves dont get looser as the mileage racks up, they get tighter as the they gradually wear away at the valve seat.

When adjusting honda valves, always go with the maximum measurement. A loose valve is a happy valve.

And no, you're not going to hurt anything. But you're going to get ****ty mileage and the engine will sound and drive like crap.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Valves dont get looser as the mileage racks up, they get tighter as the they gradually wear away at the valve seat.

When adjusting honda valves, always go with the maximum measurement. A loose valve is a happy valve.

And no, you're not going to hurt anything. But you're going to get ****ty mileage and the engine will sound and drive like crap.

Are you sure about that? Then why is it, when I do my valve adjustments, I have to tighten them back to specs.

ka7end

Reaction score

loose? my valves sounds like they are ticking, like they are too loose. or not within spec.

Back