Very bad vibrations between 50-60 mph under load

iHazSnail

Reaction score
hotspots may cause the clutch to slip and cause major vibrations especially under load. I have a similar issue and this is the conclusion that i came up with. Already ordered a new clutch so soon as thats in ill let you know.

tunedaccord

Reaction score
get your axles checked out. a buddie of my had the same problem i just checked it out today i was able to move the front half shaft up and down a good amount on the driver side. i also got that problem with my crx except its when i go on the brakes which is my axle on the right side

av6g6

Reaction score
My buddy had the same problem with his cb7, his was between 65-75 mph. He had the axle replaced and it completely eliminated the shake he had. I'm not an expert, but it seems the axles are the only common problem here that haven't been eliminated.

RichBinAZ

Reaction score
That donut thing is a torsional vibration damper. Sometimes the shafts have them and sometimes not - on the same vehicle too, just depends who the supplier is.

... and now for some out loud thinking - take it for what it's worth.

If you lift the hood, start the engine, put it in first and with the handbrake on, let the clutch up a bit even give it a bit of gas. You should be able to see the engine move a bit, but not excessively. Then do the same in reverse. Another test for some of the engine mounts is to look for a yellow stain under the mount. Some of them are fluid filled and when they rupture, that stuff can come out.

You should move the tires front to back as well, to eliminate a tire that looks good, but has a bad internal belt. If the vibes go away, it could be tires.

How are the front shocks? Bouncy?
Are the brakes down to the metal or beyond? Stuck caliper?
Wheel bearings - how would you test those? Grab the wheel at the top and see if you can push pull the thing and get some slack??
If you grab the CV boots, can you tell if there is grease inside them?

Did you ever say how many miles are on this car?

Just throwing out stuff, perhaps it will spark something else you haven't thought of yet.

INK DEMON

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input! I'm at work right now and I'll get around to checking all that stuff you just mentioned. I never stated how many miles were on the car, it has 114k miles on it.

INK DEMON

Reaction score
Well there haven't been any new developements in this case, due to the lack of funds... But I do have further questions about the clutch possibly being the problem... I have noticed recently (well about a year ago and it has just gotten worse) that when I press down on the clutch pedal, I hear a squeeking sound... Sometimes when I'm at a stop and have the car in neutral, I press the clutch pedal in and try to shift into 1st gear and the shifter gets stuck about halfway and I'm unable to actually get it into 1st gear unless I start releasing the clutch pedal... Every once in a while it will do the same while I'm driving and trying to switch from 1st to 2nd gear... It only happens in those two gears, 3rd, 4th and 5th shift just fine. And another thing I've noticed is that whenever I switch into 2nd gear (and keep in mind I'm not switching over at too low of an RPM range, about 6k RPM) it starts feeling like the engine revs too much compared to the speed pick up of the wheels (if that makes sense) and then it's like it balances out on its own which seems very weird because I bought the car when it had about 46k miles on it and it didn't start doing this until about a year ago. This might be a question worthy of its own thread, but I decided to post this question here because of iHazSnail's reply about the hot spots on the clutch. So any input would be greatly appreciated, especially if it can save me the hassle of visually inspecting the clutch...

iHazSnail

Reaction score
My issue was resolved soon as i changed my clutch and flywheel.

INK DEMON

Reaction score
Alright thanks man. Does it sound like my clutch needs to be replaced? I just searched the forum and found the reviews for various clutch kits, and I'm just kinda curious to ask you, since I know you have tons of mods on your ride... My car is pretty much stock and besides a few bolt ons, will probably remain that way... Any point in me getting an aftermarket clutch kit compared to the regular ol Honda kit? Reliabilty and longevity are key for me...

Back