ecu help needed badly!!!!!

98ACCORDLXSD

Reaction score
Save your self money in the long run, Fork out 1000$ to swap over to 5 speed. Then convert it over to OBD1 and then get a chipped ECU.

Boosting on a Automatic tranny well we all know whats happens, why there are there soo many 5 speed swaps, auto tranny sucks in our car and to have one blow is I know for me over 800$ for a newer one.

Kevs02Accord

Reaction score
My mind is not set on anything. I am trying to cover all angles. I was only giving examples that it can and has been done. Money is a big deal, my budget is going to have to be tighter than I thought. I am trying to figure out what makes the most sense. If I find out yeah I have to fork out more money, but the tuning and everything will be easier, then so be it. No one has yet to explain why use a piggyback over a conversion and vice versa. I understand the auto is crap, rebuild kits are 500 to 800, which will be plenty strong enough to handle the power.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Just do wtf you want dude, if money is tight don't boost at all. You can't afford it.

Conversion is always better than piggybacking. I can't believe you don't understand what we are trying to tell you and keep rerouting to ask the same questions.

Kevs02Accord

Reaction score
Come on guys, wheres the love? I am not trying to be annoying, I am just trying to understand better. I keep rephrasing the questions, because I either don't understand the answer, or didn't get enough info the first time around. You guys need to give me more than "it wont work", well why not, can I work around it, etc...? Your right Red, in the end I will do what I want, doesn't hurt to understand my decision better though. Maybe I find out, after some hard facts, they it can't be done, or its beyond me, but I am not getting anything like that, so w/e, it is what it is, either you guys know and aren't explaining it out, or you don't.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Both Boomslang and Rywire make conversion harnesses for obd2b automatic to obd1, according to rywire you need obd1 ecu, tcu and dizzy, according to boomslang you need obd1 ecu,tcu and transmission. There is a guy that has done the obd2a auto conversion, it worked for him, and he used crome, see articles here: http://www.accordinglydone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12424, and here: http://www.accordinglydone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10550&page=2. Now I am not opposed to using an piggyback, that is something I need to look more into, so far it seems like it is more expensive, but much easier.

Aside from the harness - I'm estimating these prices, if you can find them.

OBD2-OBD1 auto harness - $250
OBD1 trans - $2-400 - depending where you find it
OBD1 Auto ECU - $100
OBD1 TCU - $100
Trans rebuild kit - Few hundred
Torque Converter - Few hundred

You're going to be over $1k in just parts, then have to get your car tuned, plus whatever it costs to get your car turbocharged. Even then, it's not guaranteed that the auto is going to be able to handle that power.

Now. An OBD1 transmission is going to have over 100k on it. It won't be in good shape for boosting. So...rebuild it, new torque converter, etc. The stock transmissions aren't strong enough to hold the power, a rebuild kit isn't going to make it any stronger.

Not cost effective. Get it now?

Kevs02Accord

Reaction score
Aside from the harness - I'm estimating these prices, if you can find them.

OBD2-OBD1 auto harness - $250
OBD1 trans - $2-400 - depending where you find it
OBD1 Auto ECU - $100
OBD1 TCU - $100
Trans rebuild kit - Few hundred
Torque Converter - Few hundred

You're going to be over $1k in just parts, then have to get your car tuned, plus whatever it costs to get your car turbocharged. Even then, it's not guaranteed that the auto is going to be able to handle that power.

Now. An OBD1 transmission is going to have over 100k on it. It won't be in good shape for boosting. So...rebuild it, new torque converter, etc. The stock transmissions aren't strong enough to hold the power, a rebuild kit isn't going to make it any stronger.

Not cost effective. Get it now?

Makes a lot of sense now. The rebuild kits from IPT handle 350 to 400 hp, the level 10 can handle however much you specify, within reason I am sure, but all in all the auto is making it much more expensive. Any idea about a manual swap?

F23-Got boost?

Reaction score
ok u guys i see exactly where every1 is coming from...my opinoin has allways been it would just be better to go on n do the manual swap..end of story...auto trannys are **** unless they are bolted up to a v8...which we dont have in our cars.and on top of all that every1 knows 5spds are way more fun to drive....russian,blk,and others thanks for ur info...ps russian hit me up with a pm so i can chat with u about your build

F23-Got boost?

Reaction score
Makes a lot of sense now. The rebuild kits from IPT handle 350 to 400 hp, the level 10 can handle however much you specify, within reason I am sure, but all in all the auto is making it much more expensive. Any idea about a manual swap?

:buttkick::eusa_wall: lol try a search

Back