auto tranny flush

tckm

Reaction score
All you need is Honda ATF-Z1 ($6-8/qt, 3 qts/change).

just did it and bought 3 qts
then realized that you need 9 quarts to actually do the drain and fill 3 times lol.

i thought it was 3 qts for 3 drain and fills
:doh:

Badook

Reaction score
Why not take that 9 quarts pour them all into a bucket... get a second drain bucket.
Disconect the hose from output side of tranny cooler put hose in new fluid bucket, put another hose on tranny cooler going into waste drain bucket. Start car make cycling in new and expelling old. Saves all kinds of time as long as you watch the level of you new fluid to avoid running dry.
I may be wrong but it makes sense to me. Just a thought Ive had for doing mine when the time comes.

BcjammerX

Reaction score
sorry...was thinking about this the other day and saw this post

Why not take that 9 quarts pour them all into a bucket... get a second drain bucket.
Disconect the hose from output side of tranny cooler put hose in new fluid bucket, put another hose on tranny cooler going into waste drain bucket. Start car make cycling in new and expelling old. Saves all kinds of time as long as you watch the level of you new fluid to avoid running dry.
I may be wrong but it makes sense to me. Just a thought Ive had for doing mine when the time comes.

I had the same thought...but which hose is the input? Which is the output? I couldn't find good enough info to take the chance and the wifes "new" accord isn't something I'm gonna play with :D maybe if it were my DD. Plus there's just something about that idea that makes me uncomfortable...well for one no one does it like that...ever that I know of. But in theory it very well may work.

The most important piece of info is that this really isn't needed and won't give you better results than a 3x d&f. Keeping debris out of the "clean" bucket would be a hassle, you don't want anything, not even small pieces of lint, getting into the transmission. Any way it's just not necessary.

But we are all different...I'll buy a $13 rebuild kit for a part that cost $26 new. A little hassle is worth it for me most times. So if it's worth it to you to do it and you just want to find out then by all means post up your results/methods...why not have the info out there? Depending on the success I might give it a whirl...but not until I see someone else do it and succeed :lol:

Badook

Reaction score
sorry...was thinking about this the other day and saw this post

I had the same thought...but which hose is the input? Which is the output? I couldn't find good enough info to take the chance and the wifes "new" accord isn't something I'm gonna play with :D maybe if it were my DD. Plus there's just something about that idea that makes me uncomfortable...well for one no one does it like that...ever that I know of. But in theory it very well may work.

The most important piece of info is that this really isn't needed and won't give you better results than a 3x d&f. Keeping debris out of the "clean" bucket would be a hassle, you don't want anything, not even small pieces of lint, getting into the transmission. Any way it's just not necessary.

But we are all different...I'll buy a $13 rebuild kit for a part that cost $26 new. A little hassle is worth it for me most times. So if it's worth it to you to do it and you just want to find out then by all means post up your results/methods...why not have the info out there? Depending on the success I might give it a whirl...but not until I see someone else do it and succeed :lol:

I have been pondering also... There is a high pressure line but I dont think it causes a vacuum on the other. I am putting a tranny cooler in soon so I will find out. I am putting the cooler in the rear of the car where the muffler was.

TriNiCorD99

Reaction score
So i did the 10 minute transmission flush from the youtube video that was posted earlier in this thread and it was pretty simple. Nothing to it at all. Def easy to do.

My fluid was actually a lil bit purple so i guess it was def time. However i didnt use the HONDA fluid and its been about a week so far and it runs great!! Def shifts better so i would def recommend that WE ALL do this for it will help our trans stay in good condition. :badger:

finch13

Reaction score
So you want to keep your trans in good condition and failed to use the correct fluid? :eh:

Talk about taking one step forward and two steps back.

finch13

Reaction score
Newer fluid doesn't mean better fluid in every case.

Your Honda fluid has a very specific set of friction modifiers that slow the wear on the clutch cones (some are made of paper :skurred:). I wouldn't want to gamble on some 3rd party guessing at what's best for my Honda.

For example, in a few Saturn Ion automatics, if you accidentally fill them with Dexron III, drain it out without starting the car, fill it with the correct stuff, the tranny is junk within 5 minutes. True story from my Saturn tech buddy :lawl:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Your Honda fluid has a very specific set of friction modifiers that slow the wear on the clutch cones (some are made of paper :skurred:).

This is one of the most interesting sentences I have ever read on the site, thanks for posting that.

TriNiCorD99

Reaction score
Newer fluid doesn't mean better fluid in every case.

Your Honda fluid has a very specific set of friction modifiers that slow the wear on the clutch cones (some are made of paper :skurred:). I wouldn't want to gamble on some 3rd party guessing at what's best for my Honda.

For example, in a few Saturn Ion automatics, if you accidentally fill them with Dexron III, drain it out without starting the car, fill it with the correct stuff, the tranny is junk within 5 minutes. True story from my Saturn tech buddy :lawl:

I def agree its not always better in some cases but shifting has been alot better since ive done the flush. Think anything would have been better than what was in there cuz the fluid wasnt red/pinkish anymore it was purplish.

Back