auto tranny flush

silverbullet99

Reaction score
nope ive worked on just about every honda built after 95 and ive never seen a tranny fluid filter. theres strainers inside the the trans but you dont gotta worry about changing them unless you're rebuilding it. which, you will never want to do, because honda automatics are a fukn nightmare to take apart.

tckm

Reaction score
thanks man
just wondering also if there is an extra gasket that i need to get as well.

silverbullet99

Reaction score
the drain bolt washer is all you need. it doesnt crush like the crush washer on the engine oil drain bolt so dont crank on it too hard.

silverbullet99

Reaction score
yup. im sure honda has a torque spec for the bolt but i've never bothered to look it up, plus ive tightened like 10,000 of these drain bolts so i have a pretty good feel for it lol. if you have a torque wrench, i'd say set it at 40 ft lbs. otherwise just snug it up good n tight.

cajun

Reaction score
So just tighten it to the point where it's not loose anymore and don't overtighten it?

I think you'd have a hard time overtightening by hand. Mine was incredibly freakin tight from the factory and took a lot of cursing to break free the first time.

finch13

Reaction score
hey

i just went to my local parts store
and they did a search of stuff for a tranny fluid change
and they said i needed a tranny fluid filter and a gasket
is it true that i need these?
they also said that the filter is INSIDE the tranny :run:
but i doubt that haha
just making sure though

btw i have a canadian accord
02' SE
f23a1 auto

They told you that because the majority of cars require you to drop the tranny pan to drain it, replace the serviceable filter and replace the gasket. A Ford 3.0L V6 or a GM 31/34/3800 with a 4T60E tranny are prime examples of this. All you need is Honda ATF-Z1 ($6-8/qt, 3 qts/change).

Here's my motto: If parts guys, dealer or aftermarket, knew anything about working on cars they'd be making more money actually working on cars.

I think you'd have a hard time overtightening by hand. Mine was incredibly freakin tight from the factory and took a lot of cursing to break free the first time.

Heat cycling will tighten and seize bolts over time. I believe spec on the drain plug is around 33 ft. lbs.

jwong512

Reaction score
Well, I'll probably be doing my tranny drain and fill the next time I change my oil which will be in another 3k-4k. I'll be sure to post pics so that there can be an official DIY guide for the transmission fluid change. It should make things easier for a lot of members.

Mufasa

Reaction score
How the f did you loosen the ATF fill bolt on the v6?? Theres like, no room for leverage and i stripped 2 extensions trying to loosen it.

Since i couldnt loosen it, i just used the dipstick hole to fill it. but that hole is tiny so it takes forever to fill

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^I rain a few extensions straight up through and used a breaker bar. Came right off.

Back