N/A to FI: AFAccord's 10:1 Comp Turbo F23 Build Thread/Restoration

akoutmos

Reaction score
Re: N/A to FI: AFAccord's Modest Turbo Build (attempt)

I don't expect this build to be anything innovative or particularly special. I just want to do things right, document it thoroughly and clearly, and not have to redo any mistakes later on.

That in and of itself is a task. A lot of turbo projects don't end well because of mistakes and stupidity on the machine shops end or the engine management tuner.

SykVSyx

Reaction score

With the time you are taking the research the products thoroughly, that you are considering, hopefully that will eliminate some of the potential headaches as the build progresses.

Glad to see you sticking with the car though, it's always been a well done ride. This build should just help to enhance that.

As for the rad, people have mentioned going with a Civic rad, is that an option?

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score

Good call Alex - Jason, what were you thinking for engine management, are you going to be still running eCtune for it?

I'm running a civic half-size 'ProAutoLuxury' brand radiator in mine - keeps (kept) temps even cooler than stock so far!

AFAccord

Reaction score

That in and of itself is a task. A lot of turbo projects don't end well because of mistakes and stupidity on the machine shops end or the engine management tuner.

Yeah, I'm borderline paranoid about the machine work that needs to be done. My biggest concern is initial start-up and break-in. Any issues with assembly will be obvious then, and longevity of the engine should be apparent at that point.

With the time you are taking the research the products thoroughly, that you are considering, hopefully that will eliminate some of the potential headaches as the build progresses.

Glad to see you sticking with the car though, it's always been a well done ride. This build should just help to enhance that.

As for the rad, people have mentioned going with a Civic rad, is that an option?

This car is worth more to keep and tinker with than trying to sell it, insurance is next to nothing, and over the past year or so, operating cost has been limited to just oil changes and gas.

Good call Alex - Jason, what were you thinking for engine management, are you going to be still running eCtune for it?

I'm running a civic half-size 'ProAutoLuxury' brand radiator in mine - keeps (kept) temps even cooler than stock so far!

Yeah, I've never had a single issue with eCtune, and my tuner still loves it over any application for Honda. It's dependable and has every feature one could want. It also helps that my tuner is best friends with Calvin, the guy who developed eCtune.

That radiator is from an eBay store? How is fitment and what's your fan setup now? You still have A/C correct?

Last edited:

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score

I got the radiator locally, but I think it may have been an eBay one. Fitment is awesome! I used the stock bumpers for the bottom, just mounted it on the very left side of my bay. Drilled a hole for the single top bracket, used the stock top bracket with a little bit of modification. Not hard. No I do not have AC :).

Fans are wired up to the same harness which would run both stock fans, I even used the stock clips - spliced them in. I have a slim fan sucking air in, and one of the stock fans, the wider one, to suck air through and out. It actually fit perfectly on the interior (bay) side of the setup, and the plastic cowl envelops the width of the half-sized radiator to keep the air moving where it needs to go. I have pics in my thread of the fan setup. I've actually wanted to switch the placement of the fans, so that the fan sucking air in could utilize the fitting cowl to direct incoming air into the blades of the fan, and in - and the slim fan could suck the air through and into the bay.

Last edited:

AFAccord

Reaction score

No real updates, but here's where I'm at currently. Small one-car garage, ghetto flood light, and some hand tools.

photo1.jpg

photo.jpg

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score

Not too bad, at least there's decent lighting! I'm about to embark on the same endeavor probably tonight, in a 1-car garage space, minus the 'decent' lighting you have... Gonna suck but I gotta get this engine out and get a refund! And no engine stand or cherrypicker... :( Just going to manhandle the thing hopefully with the help of a buddy of mine when it gets to the actual point of getting the block out.

Nice! I spy a black-handled panel-puller.. Is that Snap-On? I have the same one! Hands down my favorite tool haha, followed by genuine Vise-Grips.

AFAccord

Reaction score

Got most of stuff off the block tonight. Pulled the axles out of the hubs, pulled the engine harness off, and pulled the header off. Hopefully I'll have some help tomorrow to pop the axles out of the tranny and half-shaft, unbolt the motor mounts and pull the motor and tranny all together. We'll see how this goes...

EmMinODaGreaT

Reaction score

I feel main studs are over rated, but if you do use them please please please make sure to line bore your block.

AFAccord

Reaction score

I feel main studs are over rated, but if you do use them please please please make sure to line bore your block.

Yeah? The block is getting line bored, but whats' the relation between that and the main studs?

Back