★ Russianred's Turbo Build Thread! ★ *UPDATED 4/15* ★

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
Re: Russianred's Turbo Build Thread! *UPDATED 10/10/10*

Badger - How high do you rev it before it really starts to drop off?

HONDA - Hold On, Not Done Accelerating

i think the last time i took it that high, spraying of course, i was still moving pretty good, but power really falls off around 6800-7000. i need to dyno this setup to confirm that

hotaccord243

Reaction score

oh boy time for me to look smart. Knife edging is where the basically make the counter weights on the crank sharper then the are stock. this takes away from some of the rotational mass of the crank it also makes it so when the crank swings through the oil instead of splashing through it it "cut's" through it. This helps to prevent aeration.....which is bad.

as for the two"shims" you found those are thrust bearings which keep the crank from moving back and forth on the journals. they should be color coded the ones I pulled from my block last week had green dots on the top of them.

that all should be accurate information but if I'm wrong someone correct me as its late and has been a pretty long *** day.

also you should store your crank standing on one end instead of laying on its side like that.

Yes this is correct. It will help greatly with "cutting" through the oil rather than splashing. I am assuming that you will be revving at higher RPMS than stock and this will help with this situation. Also getting it micropolished and balanced to make sure everything is in perfect shape cannot hurt either.

The block looks in pristine condition too! Good find!

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score

Dropping the block and crank off at the machine shop today so they can inspect the parts for integrity, and quote me for the crank work (micropolish, balance, knife-edge).

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score

They said it the block is legit, and they took it in for further inspection and cleaning. They also said the crank is legit. They quoted me $40 for micropolishing crank, $100 to balance it, and straight shop time to knife-edge it depending on how many lobes they knife-edge. The guy said that only the beginning and end lobes need the knife edge because they break the surface tension of the oil and the other lobes follow after the tension is broken. A good analogy would be diving into water. Despite this, I'd like to knife edge as much of the crank as possible to reduce weight while retaining its integrity for high WHP. They estimated the knife-edging to cost around $200. So upgraded crank for ~$350.

The only real expensive part for my build that I need to get will be the Crower rods, which run about $770.. :skurred:

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score

exactly why I'm running stock rods in mine. how much boost you gunna push nikita?

cantafordaccord

Reaction score

They said it the block is legit, and they took it in for further inspection and cleaning. They also said the crank is legit. They quoted me $40 for micropolishing crank, $100 to balance it, and straight shop time to knife-edge it depending on how many lobes they knife-edge. The guy said that only the beginning and end lobes need the knife edge because they break the surface tension of the oil and the other lobes follow after the tension is broken. A good analogy would be diving into water. Despite this, I'd like to knife edge as much of the crank as possible to reduce weight while retaining its integrity for high WHP. They estimated the knife-edging to cost around $200. So upgraded crank for ~$350.

The only real expensive part for my build that I need to get will be the Crower rods, which run about $770.. :skurred:

you should call bisimoto I got quoted 7XX.XX for new pistons and rods with an 800whp rating

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score

Unfortunately I already bought CP pistons. I'd have to look into how much the Bisimoto rods cost alone.

Erik123456789

Reaction score

Bisi didn't have them in stock when i called... it was the first place i called since its located like 30 mins away from me but i ended up getting them from raceengeering.com instead

Back