DIY: Automatic to Manual Transmission Swap

SuperMidget

Reaction score
Trans is in, everything else is pretty much back together (and painted ;) ) just working on the clutch pedal.. which defiantly happens to be the hardest and trickiest part (so far) on the swap.. the oem upper bracket doesn't come close to fitting, so I've been bending it and hammering it and test fitting it to the hole that I made.. lots of fun.. defiantly a lot more time and snags than anticipated..

Wiring.. ug.. i'm doing OBD 1 and 5 speed swap simultaneously I have all the guides but its gonna be a lot of trial and error :(

dbang

Reaction score
looks like an amazing diy that i wish i could do myself haha, curious though... what was the cost to you for this job including tools?

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Trans is in, everything else is pretty much back together (and painted ;) ) just working on the clutch pedal.. which defiantly happens to be the hardest and trickiest part (so far) on the swap.. the oem upper bracket doesn't come close to fitting, so I've been bending it and hammering it and test fitting it to the hole that I made.. lots of fun.. defiantly a lot more time and snags than anticipated..

Wiring.. ug.. i'm doing OBD 1 and 5 speed swap simultaneously I have all the guides but its gonna be a lot of trial and error :(

I took the seat out and laid upside down to drill the holes out. Hardest part is getting the master cyl behind the shock tower. Everything else bolted right up.

SuperMidget

Reaction score
Ya I have the seat out and am lying upside down... lol

I found out the I don't have an OEM clutch pedal bracket, I was modifying a differnent one, but I want to do it right, since the clutch pedal is kinda important... lol so I gotta look for the right bracket from the junkers

SuperMidget

Reaction score
*HELP PLZ*
f23a1 with 5 sp swap complete with 95 lude tranny, p28 odb1, blacktrax adapter plate with a 2 wire iacv)

So Everything is done JUST finished, the car starts up after I bypassed the starter safety signal (connected those two black/white wires together that are located in the far side of the drivers fuse box), just connecting the red and grey tranny wires didn't do it for me.

The idle barely bounced, but sounded quite noticeably rough, then after able 2 mintues idle began to sound perfect. BUT whenever i give it gas it bogs to an almost 'ECU prevented' stall mode. RPM bogs down to 100.

So.. I thought it could be the ECU learning it's parameters, but how long does that take?
I let it run for about 10 minutes..

Quite stumped, Any Thoughts?

SuperMidget

Reaction score
To update my last, I pulled my IM off and double checked the IACV wiring.. my guide showed two colours that I didn't have on my 02 SE.

2 wire IAC 3 Wire
Black/blu -----connect to black/blu
yello/black ----connect to yello/black
---- Black (leave hanging)

:doh2:

Runs great now! just can't wait to do the vss and see how this vtec feels with a lude 5 speed and aggressive f23 basemap chip with 2 stage launch ;)

Last edited:

Zoneorigins

Reaction score
Thanks a huge bunch for posting Op! :worthy: Im using this tutorial to swap my accord over. Ive pieced together almost everything i need but i have a quick question. Can you reuse the automatic transmission mount? or do you need the 5 speed equivalent?

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
I made it about a year before needing to replace the rear, but You might as well just doit all at once

nwcg3

Reaction score
Im putting all the fluid in this evening with the hopes of at least starting my 2001 EX after the swap, still need to do VSS HOWEVER:::

When looking at the big tranny plug, I see the red and black etc..

When it comes to the gray wire, it is not there. Are you referring to a light baby blue wire which may look a little gray? Or are you referring to a absolutely gray wire? Look at your photo of the plug, do you see the baby blue wire there? This is what I mean

This has not been addressed yet :)

Back