DIY Evap Canister Change - P1457

Discussion in 'DIY - Do It Yourself Forum' started by CHID0, Aug 4, 2011.

1. ShiftShapa

ShiftShapa Well-Known Member

i have the same issue insie of my car smells like oil or gas once in a while. im assuming this is related the p1457 code?
    once you changed the two way valve was the code and smell gone?

2. MrBuTcHeR

MrBuTcHeR Active Member

KUDOS! I will be doing this very soon! The parts are not a pricey as the previous owners told me! Soon as I get paid this will be ordered. Very Nice DYI

3. LeBirdNest

LeBirdNest Titleist

I got the canister and solenoid for cost and it was still 100$ together....

4. ShiftShapa

I am planning to purchase the canister vent shut valve, but i see a TSB 03001 from honda saying it can be the 2 way BYPASS SOLENOID .
    Whats your guys opinion of which goes out first. Should i replace the canister vent shut valve first and see?

i have a 2002 accord se.

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  5. 001Stunna

001Stunna Well-Known Member

Yes it can be either one, or it can even be a cracked rubber hose down there. However in most cases its the vent shut off valve.

If you want to be 100% sure you'd have to diagnose to see if the vent shut off valve works or not, and the same for the 2-way valve.

6. ShiftShapa

sorry i mean the TSB 03001 ACCORD for the 2002`s it says it can be the BYPASS SOLENOID

7. BlkCurrantKord

BlkCurrantKord Super Moderator

Just replace them all. The canister, the vent shut, and the 2-way.

8. Sketch o5

Sketch o5 Señor Greengo

just did my canister and vent shut valve and reset the cel (that i've had for nearly two years :lawl:). hopefully it doesn't come back. i had p1456 and 57. definitely easy work too, even if your shit is rusted to hell haha.

9. ShiftShapa

i noticed from seeing all of the people who commented that 98/99 year cars needed the Canister vent shut valve but with alt of research i noticed 2002 models tend to need the bypass solenoid/ or 2 way bypass valve. TSB 03001. I am going to purchase both bypass solenoid and the 2 way by pass valve get it installed and go from there.

Damn Sketch you had the 1457 light on for 2 years, i see many people saying that if the 1457 code is up for too long it can damage the PCM because it will be firing at a shorted out valve/solenoid. You got lucky.

10. Sketch o5

Sketch o5 Señor Greengo

yeah, well i was originally told by a friend that it was something completely different, i fixed what he recommended and the light was still on...i guess he's not too reliable haha. it was also about that time i stopped giving a crap about my car haha. i had it scanned again a few weeks ago by a different friend and he told me the codes and what i should probably replace. so far so good.