F20b swap! After f23 blew up

capsidx

Reaction score
It did when I ate the steering wheel lol. Since then I learned how to shift right. Guess that wasnt enough to stop the H from exploding but that motor was cursed lol. Ill definitely miss the torque but not the headaches and leaks. Im hoping the F20b will work better for me. Im assuming so because its basically an F23 and H22 put together. H22 head on a F23 block and destroked. Those iron sleeves and solid construction make me think i'll be ok lol.

gabcauseican

Reaction score
How are you guys spinning all these bearings? No oil? Bouncing off the rev limiter?

when driving aggressively...I bounce off rev limiter 2x than grab next gear.......
vtec works off oil........
old cars burn oil........
vtec burns oil......
rev limiter......yup you guessed it......
Spun bearing=alots of heat and no lube(oil)

capsidx

Reaction score
when driving aggressively...I bounce off rev limiter 2x than grab next gear.......
vtec works off oil........
old cars burn oil........
vtec burns oil......
rev limiter......yup you guessed it......
Spun bearing=alots of heat and no lube(oil)

I think in my case it was just the sheer stress of going to 10000 rpm. The car ran fine and I always checked the oil levels but anything could have happened. What was really bad was my H23a1. I did an oil change right before I drove it that day. Hit 135 and kaboom it went. I heard the pieces grinding and everything. Car shut off and I pulled over. I left my car in a lot that was ironically owned by my job. There was plenty of oil in the pan because when I coasted to a stop like 1000 feet away it was still pi$$ing oil. I still to this day dont understand fully what happened to that one lol.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
I don't think I have ever bounced off the rev limiter.

I don't see how it can gain you any speed if the motor is cutting power.

When aggressive driving I just shift when my tach hits 6k. I need this motor to last. Lol

Rusty Accord

Reaction score

When aggressive driving I just shift when my tach hits 6k. I need this motor to last. Lol

Agreed. I think I might have hit the rev limiter once. But then when you have a "high mileage" engine, you want to take care of it. I guess I'm showing my age again. ;) I've had high HP cars in my past, got a bunch of speeding tickets, and basically over pay for car insurance as a result. I've got a bunch of projects that need cash to fund them as well.

capsidx

Reaction score
IMO the rev limit is set well below the point where any engine damage can occur and I feel like its safe to go to that point. I mean you could probably rev it like 5-700 rpms higher than what the suggested limit is and still be fine. Although its not recommended obviously. The biggest concern with high revs is the valves, oil thinning out on the main bearings and rod stress. Other than that everything should be good.

gabcauseican

Reaction score

Back in my youngin days(28 be 29 this year) I always start to lean the car to about 13.9 afrs full throttle.........set rev limit fuel and ignition cut 8500rpms bounce back to 8300rpm but now im at 14.3 afrs 1 more time 14.9 even 15.2 <-----only seen 15 once..........basically(leaning the engine out)......i leap 1 or 2 bumper lengths....guess its all in the tune......no efi master but I think i explained it right.....well works for my head anyway.....

capsidx

Reaction score
Wouldnt lean be way worse than rich? ie warped piston or overheated cylinder due to insufficient cooling from the gas?

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Back in my youngin days(28 be 29 this year) I always start to lean the car to about 13.9 afrs full throttle.........set rev limit fuel and ignition cut 8500rpms bounce back to 8300rpm but now im at 14.3 afrs 1 more time 14.9 even 15.2 <-----only seen 15 once..........basically(leaning the engine out)......i leap 1 or 2 bumper lengths....guess its all in the tune......no efi master but I think i explained it right.....well works for my head anyway.....

My younger days were filled with V8's and carbs. :)

Back