F20b swap! After f23 blew up

lmayoral2191

Reaction score
I like how I posted this and everyone thinks I’m gonna spin a bearing... does anyone know how to check clearances?? I’m sure I’ll blow a compression ring first but that’s what my water meth kit is gonna help reduce the chance off lol... thanks to the people that said good luck and cool swap.

Update:
New poly mounts installed 95a ( shakes a lot!!! )
New Hondata 4 bar arrived
Boost pipes hooked up
Gonna be timing it tomorrow after I figure out vtec issue.. don’t feel vtec engaging.. what’s vtec for the f20B??

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
I never said anything about thinking you are gonna spin a bearing just how did it happen?

Hope the build goes well. I have hit the limiter in my 5.7 tundra while shifting manually. It was a little before the 6k redline. Made me sad I couldn't touch that line.

lmayoral2191

Reaction score
On my previous setup I didn’t spin a rod bearing, the piston actually cracked. I’m assuming a ringland broke

gabcauseican

Reaction score
Wouldnt lean be way worse than rich? ie warped piston or overheated cylinder due to insufficient cooling from the gas?

rich is safe but too rich n car bogs.......lean is good......too lean than boom....14.7 is key.........but 14.7 isnt good for racing.....no room for error.....no efi master but tuning isnt magic......add gas if lean......remove gas if rich.......looking for the sweet spot.......once i find the sweet spot.....(Safe spot)......i need to lean it out just a enough just for more power.....Not too lean n not t0o rich.....
we didnt event talk about ignition timing.....high/low cam.......vtec crossover.....
its more to it than rich n lean.......yet thats another topic.....

gabcauseican

Reaction score
My younger days were filled with V8's and carbs. :)

no v8s no carbs......just a honda......big turbo.....but small honda big turbo.....
good times.......never had the luxury.....my father said he going to disown me......I like 4 cylinders...... He a v8 man.....l beat his 2013 Camaro v6 345hp with a Acura TSX.....4 cylinder.....gt35 .....469 to the wheels......He said i cheated......i told him buy a honda you have more money left over to buy/go faster.... Since that lost tho....twin turbo v6 camaro......HE WONT TELL ME HIS NUMBERS.....but im sure its more than 500

I like how I posted this and everyone thinks I’m gonna spin a bearing... does anyone know how to check clearances?? I’m sure I’ll blow a compression ring first but that’s what my water meth kit is gonna help reduce the chance off lol... thanks to the people that said good luck and cool swap.

Update:
New poly mounts installed 95a ( shakes a lot!!! )
New Hondata 4 bar arrived
Boost pipes hooked up
Gonna be timing it tomorrow after I figure out vtec issue.. don’t feel vtec engaging.. what’s vtec for the f20B??

i set it at 5200

Last edited:

lmayoral2191

Reaction score
Alright I’m in need of help!!! My engine feels gutless!!! Timing is on point, along with ignition timing. Anyone ever have this issue?? My tuner can’t figure it out

capsidx

Reaction score
Is vtec engaging? Most of the vtec engines feel this way if its not engaging. I had that issue with the f23 and the f20b. You can usually tell when it’s not engaging by the sound.

lmayoral2191

Reaction score
Alrighty then update time:
My car has turned into a major pain in butt!! Okay so the first F20b engine blew up .. it blew up after the second pull on at 6psi. Cylinder 4 ringland blew apart.

Fast forward 5 weeks, ordered a fresh f20b from hmo.. super excited and installed it within the next couple days also ordered a new precision 5531 for the new engine. Got the engine installed and ready to do some pulls.. boom again cylinder 4 blows apart again!!! Same exact issue!! Ringland blew apart. Okay now I’m like okay we have a problem either on distributor side or injector.. come to find out I had 2 problems. First problem, the first engine came with a 9 wire distributor and second f20b came with a 8 wire distributor.. so I wired in the new distributor after putting in the second f20b back with a new piston and new rings. Drove the car with no boost first!! Car was absolutely gutless (vtec was engaging ) so I brought my tuner over, maybe it was something in the tune.. he set ignition timing and took it for a spin... long story short my ignition timing was so far out and my tuner didn’t adjust it correctly and was so far advanced that It felt like it had maybe 80hp.... fixed the ignition timing and boom! Pulled like a true dohc vtec engine!! Well I get it back to my house all excited and just talking to my neighbor while the car was running and boom! Radiator explodes, engine over heated... come to find out when the tuner changed maps he never turned on the fan temp to activate! So it might of blown the head gasket cause my Hondata read 240• before it blew the radiator!! So I’ll be giving a update soon! Anyone wanna add me on fb? I post more things on there then I do on here lol

capsidx

Reaction score
You have terrible luck with this motor :lawl: this is why I wouldn’t boost it without changing out the pistons and rings. They’re good to begin with but for how much you spent you could have gone forged internals and got a good tune although it seems to be more minor issues causing the engine to explode lol. I would definitely make that tuner pay for a new engine. This is the major reason I have gone to any tuners in my area. When I move to Florida I know I’ll have to get it tuned because if the massive elevation difference but I can get that done by a reputable tuner in like Orlando or something. So are you trying to save this motor or going to just get another?

Back