:147703263745b138a51
IMG_1854_zpsac07d561.jpg

hotaccord243

Reaction score
Re: Going for a re-tune.... (Round #2) Updated 1/24/13

A little progress tonight, somewhat....

Old intercooler on:
IMG_1861_zps070a7084.jpg

Size by size comparison (350hp vs 600hp precision intercoolers) HUGE difference as you can tell:
IMG_1862_zpsaff1430d.jpg

And after removing the main chasis support behind the bumper for clearance in lieu of slicing it up to allow for it to fit:
IMG_1863_zps0a39c75a.jpg

Honestly, can't decide if I should keep the bumper support and foam on or not. I'm sure I can keep it on, hack it to pieces and make room for fitment. BUT it's a hell of a lot easier without it in the way.

Obviously, due to the existing intercooler piping, the IC sits slightly more to the passenger side. Can't decide what I want to do about that either. Probably cut off a portion of the drivers side IC piping to allow it to center, as the passenger side IC piping has a sh** ton of wiggle room.

Once I get it where I want to (if I decide to keep the bumper support off the car) I will build some sort of bracket to support it to the upper radiator structure of the car for further support.

Making slow progress, but progress is progess when it's winter.... :thumbsup:

619rcr

Reaction score

Who needs a bumper support when your going fast? HAHA.

Sigh... I miss having a turbo car...
Pic of my old Toyota Chaser, from when I lived in Japan

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score

Strongly suggest you make some kind of bumper beam. Being in collision work-that is highly needed to avoid major damage. Even the slightest bumper tap will cause damage to most components behind it.

hotaccord243

Reaction score

That's what i'm thinking of doing even though there won't be much left... something is better than nothing right?

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score

^ Exactly. Every little bit counts.. Remember the support is all metal, even if it is weaker, still metal, better than just a plastic bumper cover with fragile piping underneath.

hotaccord243

Reaction score

SO... what I thought I could avoid, is of course, both unavoidable and inevitable (given the history of everything).....

IMAG0271_zps8673f943.jpg

IMAG0272_zps3ad3a272.jpg

As you can tell, from above, not only does it sit closer to the passenger side, but also cock-eyed. The passenger side sticks out further and the driver side is closer to the condensor/radiator.....

From screwing around with it tonight, and even cutting the bumper down.... It looks like I am going to have to modify the intercooler piping to get it to sit not only straight, but also "centered.....

Until I get the intercooler piping perfect, to get it straight, I don't want to start cutting down the support just yet. Gotta get that thing sitting higher, straight, and centered. THEN I will start working more with the bumper, frame support, etc.

From what it looks like, the passenger (left) IC pipe needs to be cut down (Where it takes the first 45* from the IC, and away) about 1/4-1/2" to allow it to sit closer to the car. The driver side needs to be cut down about 1-2" (away from the IC) to allow it to sit centered.

The only other way that I see happening is that I severely cut down the driver side and that should fix almost all of my issues.

Once I get this figured out i'll have to build/fab some supports to hold in place (in case I blow a IC pipe of the IC) so I don't run over it. I should expect to run 20+psi which could easily blow a pipe off (better safe than sorry) and to hold it exactly where I want it for bumper placement/fitment.

Thoughts?

AFAccord

Reaction score

Once I get this figured out i'll have to build/fab some supports to hold in place (in case I blow a IC pipe of the IC) so I don't run over it. I should expect to run 20+psi which could easily blow a pipe off (better safe than sorry) and to hold it exactly where I want it for bumper placement/fitment.

Thoughts?

Why not just bead all your pipe connections? I tested my charge system to a static ~80psi with no leaks, and ran the turbo up to 21psi. Using reinforced couplers and t-bolt clamps (which you're likely already doing) you shouldn't have any problems.

hotaccord243

Reaction score

Why not just bead all your pipe connections? I tested my charge system to a static ~80psi with no leaks, and ran the turbo up to 21psi. Using reinforced couplers and t-bolt clamps (which you're likely already doing) you shouldn't have any problems.

They are currently beaded now, I just was trying to not re-bead them and/or cut and re-weld the piping (which it looks like I will be doing to get it to sit right).....

I just didn't want to go through the hassle of re-working it basically....

Back