Hey guys!

Bond4387

Reaction score
Sup dudes and possibly dudettes, just got a 2002 Accord Special Edition, cause my previous car just died. But anyways, I saw this forum while looking for a good one to register, and this one caught my eye cause it looks pretty sweet.

I don't really know too much yet about my car, since I just bought it, but I'm hoping to learn alot from being here :D

But I do already have one question for you guys: What exactly does VTEC mean and what does it do? I've got a 2.3 VTEC and its pretty damn quick, but I don't quite understand what it actually is. I'm sorry, but I'm a new guy to this whole VTEC thing, and I just wanted to know it better :)

Thanks guys!

~Tim

hendizzlez

Reaction score
02 se.... coupe? lol

for ur question: search it up :thumbsup: :lawl:
and welcome, tim :)

u'll learn a load of stuff like i did :) this forum helped out a lotttttt
but i warn u.. u may get addicted to this site.. and spend $21870123921 on ur car.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Hey man welcome to 6GA!

Yeah - this is a really good community and very friendly as well. Just don't ask simple questions about things that have been answered before. You will quickly learn that the "search" button is your best friend!

VTEC - wikipedia it. Basically electronically controlled timing. It engages between 2500-4000 rpm, and give you some thrust and power. It's fun.

Is your car an auto or manual?
How many miles?

Everyone is really laid back here and not uptight. Just remember - post questions only if you can't find the answer through the search option. Use good keywords.. :thumbsup:

Have fun.

PS: Thanks mods - finally as5hole attack has subsided.

Last edited:

Bond4387

Reaction score
Lets see......

70k miles
4 door
Silver
Automatic trans :(

I looked up a few meets you guys had and damn it looks like alot of fun!
Hope I can make a few after I get my car past stock (don't wanna be too embarrassed)

EDIT: Last car was a 98 Dodge Intrepid. Had an internal engine problem: had a bad rod. Clicking going on whenever I revved it or accelerated. Either spend over a grand fixing it or replace the engine. I guess with the 2.7 motors Chrysler put in those cars, they were ****ty cause they had small oil passages and got gunked up pretty fast. I kept up on oil changes, but I guess it wasn't enough for my poor car. I decided I wanted to go Honda cause they always had my attention :)

Last edited:

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
devils_angel, u have been warned.... do not highjack somebody else's intro thread and do not act like an e-thug...

if u have tech questions, pls post them in the appropriate forum.... and if u said u're making tht amt of power on bolt ons, i expect dyno sheets or a permanent ban :coffee:

enough of tht.... haiiii tim :naughtyrun:

nexTOme

Reaction score
variable valve timing and lift electronic control.......aka VTAK!

haha there are many different vtec's out there...simply put....when car's engine reachs higher rpm, it needs different timing of opening/closing of intake/exhaust valve.....so commonly known gsr or lude's vtec engages to give you optimum performance around high rpm.....

now, our vtec? also known as sohc economical vtec......its there to save our gas after 2000-2300rpm range.....plus our vtec doesnt have one solid time where it kicks in...F23's vtec kicks in depending on load/rpm/throttle and stuff.......bottom line is, its not meant for racing :lolhitting:

i know...i was soo disappointed when i found out about this too :sad:

oh yeah.....and welcome! :thumbsup:

Bond4387

Reaction score
So is the extra VTEC kick just to tease me? Is it not even worth it to upgrade anything performance wise? :/

Back