Intake Manifold Removal

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Bumping for an old thread.

I will be needing to do this more than likely to fix that vacuum leak near IACV..

What is the easiest way to access that unit? Take off the plenum with the IACV on it? Or take off whole IM? Which is easier? Just looking for a few facts/opinions.

Theory208

Reaction score
^Just take off the plenum, if you want to use a standard torque wrench (they're maybe small torque wrenches that I don't know about). If you do remove the plenum, you should replace the plenum gasket and iacv gasket too.

...I'm taking my IM off at the moment, I could put up a 172 picture DIY of how to do it. Thing is, it's gunna take for ever to explain every step (which socket extensions etc), FTW or FTL?

Last edited:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
stfu lemon

for a diy, just post the shortcuts cause the manuals tell you to unhook/unclamp everything instead of pushing stuff aside...

Theory208

Reaction score
stfu lemon

for a diy, just post the shortcuts cause the manuals tell you to unhook/unclamp everything instead of pushing stuff aside...

For sure. I'll make it as comprehensive as I can. But i'll put it together so that someone reading it won't feel like they're mentally retarted. I get that all the time, little do they know ...I am half retarted! hahahhaha (but I think with the better part of my brain)

NASOHC

Reaction score
Idle air control valve should only take about an hour at the most with no experience and basic tools - It took me about 1/2 hour with a rack and air tools.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Ken, IACV doesn't take long. The process which I am doing will be more complicated, a bit more than just bolt unbolt.

I need to take off IACV, and Blacktraxx adapter plate. Then I need to seal them to each other, then the block, and have all holes lined up, and thread/tighten the bolts in a certain sequence, because there are clearance issues and one of the bolts doesn't thread on easily onto the blockoff plate - was very hard getting it threaded even the first time we put on the unit.

This is why I am inquiring about taking off IM so it can be done properly in an open area, then all reinstalled in place.

So taking off plenum with IACV on it would be easier than the whole IM correct? Then just replace the plenum gasket upon re-installation?

May just be an issue specific to my car, and parts that I am having, but IACV modding is a b*tch no doubt.

Last edited:
Back