NA SOHC F23A1 Build - DYNO'd!!!

NASOHC

Reaction score
Single cam, compression, and pump gas. No FI or dohc

I'd rather set my goals high and have some to strive for than set them low and always want more.

Well said!

People, please - i did this to see what a "backyard job" can do on a motor like this. The headwork is basic match port, the build consisted of better pistons and eliminating bal. shafts - machine work and assembly is all standard. All other components are bolt-ons. :Starwars:

If you have the $$$$ for a nicer head built, sleeved block, better flowing intake, upgraded cam, fuel system upgrade and exhaust system - i don't see how you couldn't make well over 200whp with this motor.

The motor in 6GA was never intened for race, track or any high-performance builds and/or use. What we have here are the performance results of a mild-built reliable economy motor. All the $ spent in trial and error, could of gone into a hella-built K/H-series swap. But I chose to stay true to the original drivetrain of this great car and make it a faster sleeper. :darryl:

I already have another build in process to get me go fast a looking nice - 65 Cobra kit car :coffee:

nyknick1015

Reaction score
Did you not read the thread at all? Even the first page? He's said multiple times that it is a F23A1 VTEC head.

i dunno why i was thinking of his f22 motor that he built a year back

2ihtbf5.jpg

cvjoint

Reaction score
Single cam, compression, and pump gas. No FI or dohc

I'd rather set my goals high and have some to strive for than set them low and always want more.

Well I know for example the LS7 in the Vette can get 700hp with the right head, 11-1 pistons and boltons. That's 100hp/l at the crank so there should be no reason why the F23 can't do 230 or so. You will need to use some of the lightest parts known to man and have then friction free, hollow out, forge and coat just about every part. 200 wtq is a different story, I'm doubtful to say the least. You can bore out a set of Darton sleeves to get some wind in the direction but I don't kno, that will be an F24.

Well either way you'll want more!

NASOHC

Reaction score
Just like pullin 700whp+ out of a 1.6 SOHC - yeah it's a Turbo but heck, who knew?!?! :bowdown:

If you have the funds and knowledge, sky's the limit right?

cvjoint

Reaction score
Just like pullin 700whp+ out of a 1.6 SOHC - yeah it's a Turbo but heck, who knew?!?! :bowdown:

If you have the funds and knowledge, sky's the limit right?

No doubt Honda motors are the benchmark in the /liter category. Their dedication to the 4 cyl motor over the decades netted great results. There is a reason Murray wanted the McLaren F1 to be Honda powered.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well I know for example the LS7 in the Vette can get 700hp with the right head, 11-1 pistons and boltons. That's 100hp/l at the crank so there should be no reason why the F23 can't do 230 or so. You will need to use some of the lightest parts known to man and have then friction free, hollow out, forge and coat just about every part. 200 wtq is a different story, I'm doubtful to say the least. You can bore out a set of Darton sleeves to get some wind in the direction but I don't kno, that will be an F24.

Well either way you'll want more!

It doesnt need to be quite that involved. The way I see it, the F23 likes to make equal amounts of torque and hp. The problem comes when you try and make it rev like a DOHC motor. It's not designed for that, you could make it do that, but then you're taking away from the way the engine was designed to operate and perform.

Turbowa make 200/200 on his F22 (head)/F23 (block) hybrid. Sure the F22 head he used flows better, but there's still reason why the F23 will a little massaging couldn't do the same given the same modifications. It's just that no one has taken one to that point yet.

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2592810

Last edited:

cvjoint

Reaction score
It doesnt need to be quite that involved. The way I see it, the F23 likes to make equal amounts of torque and hp. The problem comes when you try and make it rev like a DOHC motor. It's not designed for that, you could make it do that, but then you're taking away from the way the engine was designed to operate and perform.

Turbowa make 200/200 on his F22 (head)/F23 (block) hybrid. Sure the F22 head he used flows better, but there's still reason why the F23 will a little massaging couldn't do the same given the same modifications. It's just that no one has taken one to that point yet.

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2592810

Good read! I had no idea the f22 head flows better, I would have thought the opposite. So this is a perfect example that I think makes my point even more strongly.

First I'm not sure that's pump gas but anyway. Look at the torque curve, nowhere near 200wtq. While NA the motor generally gets more peak torque through displacement and compression increases, everything else being pretty negligible. The engine is probably near 11 if running pump gas and it has a rather lofty stroke from factory, it's bored so displacement is maxed out too. To make decent power you have to rev the piss out of it and achieve stratospheric piston speeds, probably a lot more than an s2000 2.0 redline at 8000rpm for the frank motor.

Second all other mods to only one thing to torque: if flattens it. That looks like a really nice curve, but again far lower than the 200lb/ft target.

That engine already uses custom lightweight rods and a rather extreme cam given idle issues so it's not for the faint of heart. I can't picture 200wtq without say a 13:1 compression, think skirt pistons, and even more revs. You can probably rev it to 9k but for how long?

Anyway this is not the 200/200 or bust thread ha ha. I'm sure the OP here will enjoy his built, it's one mean f23 nonetheless.

NASOHC

Reaction score
^ Wow, for all the custom work that motor has, it's not really any better IMO. Way less torque and even though his HP is higher, my motor setup would pull harder than his. Not to brag, just being realistic.

Yes F22 heads can flow 300-340 cfm with major mods - i bought one from Bisi that flowed 330cfm but never go to puttig that f22 someone posted earlier. Traded it for my DSLR :) My motor runs smooth, no issues, and no mod swap of parts. Lookin' OG.:driving:

Which reminds me - I gotta post o Honda-tech too.

cvjoint

Reaction score
^ Wow, for all the custom work that motor has, it's not really any better IMO. Way less torque and even though his HP is higher, my motor setup would pull harder than his. Not to brag, just being realistic.

Yes F22 heads can flow 300-340 cfm with major mods - i bought one from Bisi that flowed 330cfm but never go to puttig that f22 someone posted earlier. Traded it for my DSLR :) My motor runs smooth, no issues, and no mod swap of parts. Lookin' OG.:driving:

Which reminds me - I gotta post o Honda-tech too.

Agreed, your powerband is far more usable and you don't have to throw those pistons at cosmic speeds. This should net a lot more pickup and reliability. The cam that guy used is not geared that well for the F.

NASOHC

Reaction score
Agreed, your powerband is far more usable and you don't have to throw those pistons at cosmic speeds. This should net a lot more pickup and reliability. The cam that guy used is not geared that well for the F.

It scares me to see similar tq/hp numbers at almost 2k rpms higher. I feel good not having to rev this motor beyond 7k rpms. My shift light is set 500 rpm's lower than that. I'd love to see this on a Civic/CRX - it would be fast. Too bad our 6GA are so heavy, though I've lightened up a bit. Thanks!

Back