Need Audio Help! (first post)

xx24xx

Reaction score
I think this would rock your socks...

HU: Alpine CDA 9886 ($270) (Awesome iPod control and sound quality)
*You also have the option of using the IMPRINT later. I have it and it brings my speakers to LIFE!

AMP: Sundown Audio SAX 125.2 ($240)

Speakers: Rainbow SLC NG 6.5" 2-Way Component System ($290)

This costs more than your budget but it's worth it. You could probly find it cheaper on ebay but I don't recommend unless you want to forfeight warranty. Don't forget to add the cost of wiring, a new battery (I'd recommend a Stinger SP1000) and small odds and ends like speaker mounting rings.

Yes I purposly didn't mention rear fill because you won't need it. These speakers will sing and with effective time alignment (Imprint) the sound will be fully center stage at eye level and almost "wrap" around your head.

Later you can add a sub and mono amp... along with upgrading your electrical too. If you want to go further then do sound deadener and noise barrier.

Hope this is helpful. :rock:

Last edited:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
rear speakers are only useful if you have passengers but lets face it...its your car and youre not in the back! :lawl:

thats quite a generous budget so you will do pretty well, even for under $700. xx's recommendations would fit pretty nicely. without any guidelines or brands or power goals, its really a broad concept to design a full system since there are so many possibilities out there.

i will say...if you can get used to the interface, go with an alpine for ipod control. im a premier fan but i will say pioneer's ipod interface sucksssssss.

dvilla5506

Reaction score
i have the alpine cda 9886 ran the wires to my glove box both ipod and usb.....interface is beautiful and it plays really well blew out one back speaker but guna replace em all with kappas and possibly 2 12"FI BTL subs....although wen i installed everything my sub is very weak like its not even there so idk wat happened but its awesome and the illumination is very easy to see even if the sun is shining directly on it

callmeryang

Reaction score
rear speakers are only useful if you have passengers but lets face it...its your car and youre not in the back! :lawl:

thats quite a generous budget so you will do pretty well, even for under $700. xx's recommendations would fit pretty nicely. without any guidelines or brands or power goals, its really a broad concept to design a full system since there are so many possibilities out there.

i will say...if you can get used to the interface, go with an alpine for ipod control. im a premier fan but i will say pioneer's ipod interface sucksssssss.

sorry for sounding noobish but..what do you mean when interface sucks?
isn't it just plug and play music and control out of ipod?

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
the pioneers are slow to get the tracks ready if you select like a playlist or artist with a bunch of songs.

there was also an issue with scrolling through songs reported by some. ipods with large music collections move slowwwwly unless you break the music up into a lot of playlists

and i think its the add-on box (CDA-something) which limits the characters displayed to like 28...so if you have a long mp3 name such as "stevie ray vaughan - life by the drop" you wont get to see much of the track title. my older premier supports 64 characters if i remember right, but that's for CD playback.

go to a store like BB and play around with both...some stores might even have an mp3 add-on hooked up. higher-end stores (like...uhhhh...AMS here...dont know what independent shops are around you) will most likely have ipod hookups. in fact, AMS adverts say "bring in your ipod." ive had pioneers since 98 (before i could drive, in fact) so i'm a creature of habit, i guess :lawl:

Inline4

Reaction score
just to add on to wat ryan said, you also get better rms power out of an alpine deck should you end up not getting the 4 channel amp. i believe pioneers rms around 18-19 watts and alpines are near 20-22 watts or something to that effect.

and having both an alpine and pioneer in 2 of my famliy's cars, I can tell you that the alpine interface is about 100x's easier to use and figure out.

sony decks have relatively simple interfaces as well, but I wouldnt reccomend an xplod to anyone, its my own fault that i got cursed with one in my car :eh:

xx24xx

Reaction score
My only gripe with my 9887 is that it isn't a 7" touchscreen. :action-smiley-042: The remote is retarded too but I will live.

I wouldn't brag about internal amps. IMO they shouldn't be used. Alpines do sound a bit better, or at least the new ones do, but they generate heat and the more you use it the sooner your head unit will have problems or die.

Pioneers have this historical problem of blowing an internal fuse, called the piezo (spelling?) and renders the units useless. You can do this by simply unplugging the RCAs and plugging them back in.

**Ryan if you think Pioneer has bad iPod control....check out Eclipse's. Total chaos! Kenwoods is a plus but can't match Alpine.

If you only plan on playing music from an iPod and no CDs I think you should consider their x300 (dedicated iPod control). I wouldn't get too crazy into SQ components because honestly the quality really IS limited from the iPod. I find myself playing CDs rather than using my iPod to get the full potential.

callmeryang

Reaction score
uh oh i was about to get the sony xplod haha
so i should get an alpine interface?
yes i play mostly cd and ipod..and my music is all in playlists so i don't need to constantly change blah blah..
not really an fm guy

accordlx

Reaction score
Hi Guys:

I'm in the same boat. My Pioneer DEH-P7000BT just can't power my JL Audio VR650CXI speakers (only 14 Watts RMS x 4 Channels). I'm going to install an amplifier but I just don't know where to mount the amplifier. I have fold down seats so I really don't want to mount the amp to the back of the fold down seat. Also I don't want to install it under the seat. Have you guys been able to mount it under ceiling of the trunk? It would be easier, were it not for the trunk lid tension bars.

Thx.
AccordLX

Back