Prep first then macco paint

pellegrini

Reaction score
So ive been sanding/priming the car with my friend who has a spray gun, im sandin the car down to the primer coat with 220 and priming with professional primer and wetsanding with 800, if i prep the car really nice u think it would be bad if i got the 650 dollar paint job from maaco cuz its on sale for 300, i hear that macco sucks, but i did research and its mostly that there prep jobs are the part that make the car come out chip and fade after a couple months, so what would u guys suggest im on a tight budget

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
If you do, I recommend taping everything off yourself as well. A kid I know sent his to macco and they have overspray on every window and on his wheels.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I wouldn't repaint a car on a tight budget. But doing the prep work yourself is definitely a good idea. Hope they are actually using the OEM paint code and mixing it correctly.

DrOwZee

Reaction score
Legit prep work is definitely a huge factor in your paint. Make sure they final clean the whole car to get rid of any left over residue/grease etc off the car before painting. Also find out what clear coat they are using. Cheap clear coat will kill the car later on.

01RedAccord

Banned
Reaction score
Shiz be good like dat. Do et all right and It should b good. Paint gun fo shiz yea.

Represent

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Shiz be good like dat. Do et all right and It should b good. Paint gun fo shiz yea.

Represent

Ahhh...to be a pre-pubescent youth, again.

OP, any (proper) prep work you can do is always a good thing, regardless of where you take your car.

It's Maaco though, so you get what you pay for.

619rcr

Reaction score

Represent

Ahhh...to be a pre-pubescent youth, again.

My thoughts exactly. Re: Maaco, I checked them out too, From what they told me their cheap paint job is a one step, color & clear. Gotta pay extra for real clear coat. About two years ago it was $800 - $900 for their cheap paint with clear coat. Their best was about $2k.
If your friend has a paint gun, why not have him paint it? Probably be just as good as a cheap Maaco job, or better.

Last edited:
Back