Tripods

finch13

Reaction score
oh i see.i was thinking about the 055 leg and 488 head and it comes to almost 300. >< how much can your set up hold?

I have the Manfrotto 055XPROB legs with a Smith-Victor BH-2 Arca-type head.

The tripod is rated at 15.4lbs and the head is rated at 18 lbs. What's nice about the Arca-type head is you can use an L-bracket from a different company like, Really Right Stuff and they work together.

Don't let the $43 pricetag on the head fool you, its solidly built and all machined steel. The tripod is also sturdy and solid feeling, no cheap parts there. The whole setup is around 12 lbs. I'd say and doesn't get too heavy to hold while walking around all day (compared to ericthecheat's Gitzo legs/RRS head combo)

MrLazie1

Reaction score
sorry for bumping my old thread. but i got my 055xProb tripod but my camera dont screw on to it. does that mean that i have to get a head along with the 055xprob?

finch13

Reaction score
Yeah you need a head too... real tripods come in two parts for customization. The threads on your legs is a 1/4"-20, the head on the quick release is something else... smaller.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
1/4"-20 is the standard tripod screw...but tripods have a 5/8" mount or something...

MrLazie1

Reaction score
oh i see. alright. thanks for the help. i thought that i can just get a leg and it would be fine. cause my friend has one but i dont recall which manfrotto he had. and my dslr fitted right on there.

finch13

Reaction score
He probably had a head on it, you just didn't know it. How else do you adjust what the cameras pointed?

MrLazie1

Reaction score
no, im sure it was just the leg. or maybe there was an adapter that would fit the screw on the leg?

bdeitemeyer

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just got back from my local photography store here in Tampa after sampling the Manfrotto 055XPROB and 055XCPRO3 models. I'm a bit confused now because many of the reviews I've read online made it clear that the 055 models were better off for taller people (6 feet and above) while the 190 models were at eye-level for people a bit shorter (5'6-5'10ish). I'm 5'9, and it seemed like the 055 models were pretty close to being at the perfect height (considering the height of the column all the way down, the 488rc2 head, and a few more inches for the camera body) for me without having to raise the column. Am I missing something here?

055 maximum height with column all the way down: 55.9"
190 maximum height with column all the way down: 48"

That's quite a big difference, so should I be assuming that people using the 190 series models are raising their columns to compensate for the shorter tripod legs?

hiddengamer7

Reaction score
Yea, the center column is what makes them so versatile, the 055 legs with the center column extended is suitable for people well over 6 feet tall. When you are choosing a tripod though, just pick the one you feel most comfortable with.

Back