Wingnut Pansaver?

pattywak

Reaction score
Have any of you used one of these on your Oil pans? The guy at O'Riley's said that the pansaver would hit the crank on a Honda so they could not be used on them, and he even showed me where it said on the package "Do Not Use on Hondas or VW's." My friend who I trust with his mechanical judgement said that you could use them on Hondas without any problem, and he has used them before. Just wondering if anyone has heard of or used a pan saver on their Accord without any detrimental effects - I don't have the time or the money to get a new oil pan put in. Thanks for the help guys. :thumbup:

finch13

Reaction score
It's a wingnut rubber grommet thinger that you use when you strip the threads on the oil pan for the drain bolt.

Wouldn't do it... have a shop throw in a HeliCoil for you, if possible. I know the V6 pans can be HelCoiled... not sure about the stamped steel pans on the I4.

matt_glesn

Reaction score
i stripped the threads on accident the last time i changed my oil. I just went and bought an oversized bolt and replaced it. you just have to be cafeful cuz you have to make new threads, make sure you go in slow and straight. its about a 2 dollar repair

pattywak

Reaction score
What exactly is a helicoil? And what is the downside to the pan savers?

finch13

Reaction score
It's a steel coil of wire. You oversize tap the hole, insert the coil and you basically have a brand new thread to use. They also call them TimeSerts.

The downside to Pan Saver is they tend to leak and it gets sketchy to use after you put it in/take it out once. I mean, I'd only put one in if the threads were completely jacked and you were gonna throw a new pan on before the next oil change.

pattywak

Reaction score
Yeah, thats the thing. With it being cold now and Finals and family time coming up, I don't think I'll have any time for getting a new oil pan put on, plus I don't have any place to do that kind of work or experience with it. That is why I thought about the wingnut pansavers. It really is a temporary fix until probably spring or next summer. My main concern would be what the guy at Oriley's said - hitting the crank. Does anyone know if this is true?

xmsleepr

Reaction score
hmmm im just going to take a wild guess here isnt the oil drain bolt at the VERY BOTTOM of the oil pan hence its purpose...and the crank travels up and down yes but i highly doubt it goes all the way to the bottom of the oil pan which is deeper on one side than the other and has baffles and such....

f23accord2000

Reaction score
pansaver also known as a temp plug they do not work on hondas or vw ive tryed it been working on them from jiffy lube for 4.5 yrs .doesnt work they all came back leaking dont even try it its says on the pachage for a reason not to use them on honda or vw, the gasket doesnt form around the hole good enough specialy on the 6cyl

Last edited:

pattywak

Reaction score
pansaver also known as a temp plug they do not work on hondas or vw ive tryed it been working on them from jiffy lube for 4.5 yrs .doesnt work they all came back leaking dont even try it its says on the pachage for a reason not to use them on honda or vw, the gasket doesnt form around the hole good enough specialy on the 6cyl

I see, so the thing is they do not seal well on the oil pans? Is there something different between Honda oil pans and say, Chevy or Ford oil pans?

Back