Wingnut Pansaver?

finch13

Reaction score
Fel-Pro makes some good ****, but sometimes even they **** up. A good pan gasket will have a plastic cage with a rubber/or silicone gasket secured inside. That way they can't push out and douche oil everywhere.

pattywak

Reaction score
A new plug every 5 oil changes? You're lubing and cleaning the threads with oil every time you screw the drain plug in... it's a bit overkill. I've never changed the plug or the crush washer with no leaks whatsoever.

The 4cyl's have it lucky, steel pan, steel bolt. No dissimilar metals to seize to each other. The V6's with aluminum pans are not so lucky. Combining overtightening with dissimilar metals makes it SUPER easy to pull the threads out with the plug.

Here's the deal with tapping oil pans on the car... you will have no idea if you got all the shavings out. A tiny bit of shavings in the crankcase can go a LONG way towards prematurely wiping out bearings.

Since it sounds like you're going replace the pan, here's some tips:
- Use brake clean and wash down the seam between the pan and block, try to go 1" up from the bottom of the block.
- Use brake clean to wipe off any oil and sludge that my be on the sealing. If Honda uses Hondabond for their gaskets instead of just rubber, pick up a gasket scraper. I said gasket scraper, not a putty knife.
- Make sure you get a "flat pack" gasket. If you buy an aftermarket pan that has the gasket rolled up in a ball, toss it out. Silicone impregnate paper gasket blow, they're know to seep through and known to blow gasket out and leak.
- I'm pretty sure the pans just use RTV silicone for a gasket, if so, pick up a tube of Hondabond or Permatex's "The Right Stuff" gasket maker ($20). It's expensive, but well worth the cost. Lay a solid 3/16" bead around the entire pan, go on the inside of the bolt holes.

fel-pro offers a 4cyl pan gasket, i believe. still don't know if i'm going that route or getting some hondabond.

i'll check my oil and see if there's any missing. its too cold to f with it now...

Fel-Pro makes some good ****, but sometimes even they **** up. A good pan gasket will have a plastic cage with a rubber/or silicone gasket secured inside. That way they can't push out and douche oil everywhere.

Would an OEM gasket not be best? And finch, that's a bunch for the tips!

Edit: I'm planning on ordering the oil pan from here: http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com...cgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=CYLINDER+BLOCK+-+OIL+PAN

Anyone know a place that offers a better price?

finch13

Reaction score
I'm too lazy, but hondapartscheap.com and bkhondaparts.com are legit, check TAS as well?

Make sure you order the gasket too, OEM or Fel-Pro, probably doesn't matter much.

Drift

Reaction score
I always put a thin layer of Hondabond, or Fujibond (subaru's silcone gasket stuff) on both sides of the oil pan gasket before putting it on. Just as a little added insurance.

pattywak

Reaction score
isnt the pan just put on with only hondabond to begin with? like, no actual gasket at all? on the f23's at least.

I have no idea, I assumed that they had a gasket because there is an OEM one available for purchase....can anyone confirm this?

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
I always put a thin layer of Hondabond, or Fujibond (subaru's silcone gasket stuff) on both sides of the oil pan gasket before putting it on. Just as a little added insurance.
i might end up going this route.

the stock gasket lasted 150k miles...can't really ***** about that :thumbup:
I have no idea, I assumed that they had a gasket because there is an OEM one available for purchase....can anyone confirm this?
doesn't really matter what it comes with...but my buddy confirmed it's only a hondabond gasket from the factory. that said...you can go:

gasket only (i didn't look too hard for an OEM but didn't find one. majestic's site sucks)
gasket maker only
gasket and gasket maker

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
gasket only (i didn't look too hard for an OEM but didn't find one. majestic's site sucks)

there isnt one listed on majestics site, cuz, well, its not there to begin with haha.

youd be fine with just the hondabond, since thats what only there now.

pattywak

Reaction score
there isnt one listed on majestics site, cuz, well, its not there to begin with haha.

youd be fine with just the hondabond, since thats what only there now.

Well, a member on here has an OEM gasket listed for sale, so I might just use that and apply a layer of Hondabond if I want to be extra safe.

finch13

Reaction score
If the factory doesn't use a gasket, don't use a gasket. Buy Hondabond or The Right Stuff. Using something that wasn't there to begin with just increases the odds of leaking again. And just because a member is selling one doesn't mean they know **** about ****, just like sweagle getting ****ed on his airbag because the member didn't know what the **** they were doing.

13S840_E14.gif

Back