10/8/12 FINISHED Retrofit

98 SMR AV6

Reaction score
I'm currently trying to retrofit my headlights, I got a pair of projectors that came out of an integra (I know they're not good projectors, but I got them for free so why not give it a try and make this a little fun project).

8-14-12

So far I took apart the headlights.
IMAG0464.jpg

The projectors is one whole piece with the high beam so a little cutting and custom fitting will need to be done of course.
IMAG0465.jpg

IMAG0467.jpg

Just a quick bulb test and to see how the cutoff was and surprisingly it wasn't that bad.. (will upload cutoff pics when retrofit is completed).
IMAG0463.jpg

Since this is my first time doing a retrofit, I'm gonna need a "test" headlight. I'm currently searching on CL and nearby junkyards for one, I should be able to pick up a headlight by this weekend and have it retrofitted beginning of next week. Thanks for looking and stay tuned!

******UPDATE 8-22-12

I did some cutting today and it turned out pretty good except for the corner but no one will notice once everything is put together.
IMAG0491.jpg

A couple test fitting again..
IMAG0482.jpg

IMAG0481.jpg

I'm probably not going to use my low beam bucket, I might just mod something different to it. I'm still going to use my high beam bucket though.
IMAG0486.jpg

Keep in mind this is a "test" headlight these projectors will go into my black housed headlights once everything is fitted and looking the way I want it to.

As you guys can see I'm taking babysteps, I was already paranoid of messing up with the OEM headlight I can't imagine how I would be when I work on my black housed headlights.

My goal for my next update is completing the retrofit. Once its all finished and on the car then I will take better quality pictures.

******UPDATE FINISH 10/08/12

Sorry for keeping you guys waiting, even though you guys probably forgot all about this thread lol I've actually completed the retros two weeks ago but I never had the time to keep you guys posted, well here it is!

IMAG0539.jpg

IMAG0540.jpg

Here's the cut off. Don't mind my different HID bulbs lol and don't mind the left cut off. It's just the reflection off the door that's why it gives that scattered light, the cut off is the same as the right.

As you can see I still have some adjusting to do.

IMAG0561.jpg

IMAG0560.jpg

IMAG0557.jpg

and one last pic..

IMAG0538.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Re: Retrofit Process

Choosing to do something different with a retro.....good on ya!

Hope all goes well with the project.

Keeping the blackhousing or redhousing the headlights?

98 SMR AV6

Reaction score

Choosing to do something different with a retro.....good on ya!

Hope all goes well with the project.

Keeping the blackhousing or redhousing the headlights?

Thanks! I appreciate it.

Most likely just keeping the black house and blacking out the reflector on the low beam or keeping it chrome how it is. But I'll know for sure what I'm going to do once the projectors come in.

Cool project, good luck!

Thanks Chris! That means a lot coming from you, I hope this project goes well.

uhhkilleez

Reaction score

Hope it turns out well!! If it were me, I'd paint the low beam bucket black and keep the high beam chrome.

98 SMR AV6

Reaction score

hmm, interesting

gonna have to check out the results definitely

I'll update as soon as I can!

Hope it turns out well!! If it were me, I'd paint the low beam bucket black and keep the high beam chrome.

Yes that's what exactly I plan on doing to the low beam but then again I seem to change my mind a lot so who knows..lol thanks though!

LeAccord

Reaction score

Really looking forward to seeing how you tackle this project and what the outcomes are. Patiently waiting !

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score

why not use worthwhile projectors if youre going through all the hassle already?

i know they were free, and i know you know they're not good...the price is low, but so is the value. when you end up upgrading them (you will), you'll have to do all the work again :thinking:

Back