8" or 10" Sub

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
jdm_dynasty said:
like blacknight said, just get a 10 w/box and amp it. i currently running 1 12" Alpine on my 4runner. but about to give it to my older sister which she swapping it with 2 15" JBLs. *drools* but i plan to take one 15" and put it in my 4runner, and the other 15" to my accord. i'll take some pics when i work on the project.

15's are sloppy pieces of garbage. It's very difficult to design a motor structure that can control a cone of that size. Add in greater cone thickness to stiffen the oversized piston, the weight is hard to control. A 10" sub is great for accurate bass, not so much loudness. A 12" sub is a good mix between accuracy and output; not too much cone area to be sloppy, but large enough the move a good amount of air.

dynasty

Reaction score
Totalimmortal said:
15's are sloppy pieces of garbage. It's very difficult to design a motor structure that can control a cone of that size. Add in greater cone thickness to stiffen the oversized piston, the weight is hard to control. A 10" sub is great for accurate bass, not so much loudness. A 12" sub is a good mix between accuracy and output; not too much cone area to be sloppy, but large enough the move a good amount of air.

hey hey now. LOL. i got the 2 15" from my older sister which she let me have. i didn't really want too much bass so that's why i'm spliting the subs. but from what i heard from the subs, it beats clean. for the box, it came with the subs so there's nothing wrong with it. :eek:

djpm05

Reaction score
Totalimmortal said:

:confused: there are many companies that can build a good motor assy. for a 15" sub. there are certain things that need to be considered when building a motor assy. for a sub that handles lots of power, and has a big excursion, but just because it's a 15" sub, doesn't mean it can't sound good. You need a strong spider, usually well secured tinsel leads, that should typically be insulated, etc. There are tons of things that go into making a good speaker, but size doesn't mean a sub is loud/clean, it's how it's build, and what it's built to do.

Not saying that most 15"s are clean sounding, but at the same time my 2 10"s are MUCH louder than most 15"s I see come in. It's all about the enclosure:)

dynasty

Reaction score
personally. it depends on the quality of the subs, which is from the brand. for my 15". it 'sounded' clean to me. compared to my 12" alpine. same amp and everything. but i thought the bigger the subs is, the more sound you could release from it. not by the wattage (of course more watts is more sound) but by the size of it. ehh, i could be wrong which you guys already corrected me. but that's my "theory".

djpm05

Reaction score
jdm_dynasty said:
personally. it depends on the quality of the subs, which is from the brand. for my 15". it 'sounded' clean to me. compared to my 12" alpine. same amp and everything. but i thought the bigger the subs is, the more sound you could release from it. not by the wattage (of course more watts is more sound) but by the size of it. ehh, i could be wrong which you guys already corrected me. but that's my "theory".

not always. the type R subs from alpine are so inefficiant that they will be 1/2 as loud on the same amp as a JL, or even a Kicker. The type S subs, on the other hand, are badass. They are more efficiant, and make better sound.

Cone also makes a difference as far as the material that it's made of. Paper cones will break much more easily, but sound more natural.

Totalimmortal

Reaction score
djpm05 said:
:confused: there are many companies that can build a good motor assy. for a 15" sub....

Think about it. The average consumer doesn't/wont spend the money on a well designed sub. $300+ for a decently well designed subwoofer; most people spend that much, maybe a little more, on their ENTIRE system. The average consumer is looking for the best deal available, a lot of time reguardless of quality or reputation. Thats why companies like Dual and Sony(except Mobile ES) have been so successful with their ****ty product lines.

Browntown

Reaction score
I have a friend that has a 12" Viper sub.... never heard one before and it bumps loud and clean! It also looks pretty sweet.... kind of a bonus if you ask me.

djpm05

Reaction score
Totalimmortal said:
Think about it. The average consumer doesn't/wont spend the money on a well designed sub. $300+ for a decently well designed subwoofer; most people spend that much, maybe a little more, on their ENTIRE system. The average consumer is looking for the best deal available, a lot of time reguardless of quality or reputation. Thats why companies like Dual and Sony(except Mobile ES) have been so successful with their ****ty product lines.

I work at a high-end car audio shop doing sales and install, so I see people who are slightly more willing to spend some $ on their sound system. we also tend to see a lot of drug dealers who want to destroy their ears with bass. hmmm

ryon527

Reaction score
djpm05 said:
I work at a high-end car audio shop doing sales and install, so I see people who are slightly more willing to spend some $ on their sound system. we also tend to see a lot of drug dealers who want to destroy their ears with bass. hmmm

well they're destroying their brains, might as well go for the ears too :D

Back