DIY Coilover help

001Stunna

Reaction score
OP, follow the guidance that Ken(NASOHC) mentioned. You do not need to undo the lower mount bolt(but you can if you want to) everytime you want to adjust your cars height

BEFORE INSTALLATION:

The 2 top "red" rings below spring are to help lock the spring in place and need to used to turn the "gold" threaded shock section in order to adjust height after installation.

Turning upper red ring (the one making contact with spring) will adjust pre-load on spring. I always say to check this before installing coil-overs to ensure the same pre-load is set front and/or rear. If you decide to change this, no more than 1/2" of spring compression should ever be used. The spring is going to break-in and loose 1/8-1/4" or so after riding on your car for a bit. This is more of an advanced feature if you know what you're doing.

Ex. If front spring measures 8" total, then it should not measure less than 7.5" after locking "red" rings. Note: Should be done "off" car -before installing!

Ensure the front springs and rear spring are the same length before locking "red" rings. If the "upper" red ring is just hand tight against spring and you lock it with lower "red" ring, chances are after a while of riding (break-in period) that spring may be loose and you'll call me about a noise. Do it right the first time and you won't have problems in the future. It is better to double check the settings are evenly right before installing - yes it states that adjusting those rings can void warranty BUT I'm telling you what is okay to do and I will honor your warranty.

Do this and never loosen those rings again because the interlocking "red" rings is what you need to use in order to adjust height later, after installing.
Also, before installing, be sure the front and rear coil-overs measure exactly the same length (top to bottom) and "hand tight" lock bottom "gold" ring.

AFTER INSTALLED IN CAR:

Turning the upper "red" ring clockwise will interlock with lower "red" ring and allow for the "gold" thread section to go into lower red housing in order to "drop" (lowering) the car and please ensure that the lower "gold" ring is unlocked or you won't go down.

Turning the lower "red" ring counterclockwise will interlock with upper "red" ring and "raise" the car. Again, be sure "gold" ring is loose and lock after desired height is adjusted.

Above all, always measure starting and ending points!!! last thing you want is a crooked looking car.

What's wrong with picture above is that is says to turn the lower section to adjust height and how the heck is that going to happen if already installed?!?!?! WRONG!!!

You need to use those "red" rings as stated above!

Now, enjoy your coil-overs! :peace:

chriskarel

Reaction score
Well, that's my point. That guy seems to know his stuff, and he says to adjust the top 2 rings to adjust the height. But everyone else on here says not to. What gives ya'll?

Frisky Arab

Reaction score
Spray PB blaster on all the bolts the night before and let it soak in... Don't strip anything or your life will be hell.

This! When I was workin on my suspension I completely shattered my lower shock bolt and even though its valued at 30 cents you cant get it anywhere but the dealer. Leaving my car unatended in the shop for 2 days was not fun.

Chris Vu

Reaction score
wtf ? i have fft1s and i've never had to adjust the spring perch (a) .. if you want to lower or raise your car, do it with the bottom tube (c) .. after installation, just undo the bottom bolt that connects the bottom tube to your susension then adjust by spinning .. you guys are thinking way too much into it. its straight forward .. never touch the spring perch.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Well, that's my point. That guy seems to know his stuff, and he says to adjust the top 2 rings to adjust the height. But everyone else on here says not to. What gives ya'll?

You're NOT adjusting by the top 2 rings, you're using those top 2 rings and spinning the coilover in or out of the lower mount.

Chris Vu

Reaction score
:slap:..stunna, you're not supposed to touch the top two rings. the only one you should ever mess with is th bottom locking ring ..teins should be the same

Last edited:
Back