DIY LEDs gauge cluster

Go!

Reaction score
Why did O.P. say he used 3 of the twist-lock bulbs?

I only see two GREEN circles.

Also, I did this & my coolant level gauge won't light up.

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
So..
These are what I used guys, they lasted over 30,000 miles, not sure how long they're supposed to last but hey at least I can vouch for that.

http://www.v-leds.com/5K-WHITE-X5-HIGH-POWER-p8757621-1-3.html
Unfortunately they're out of stock.. what a great price.. they cost me a shat ton when I got them.

What you want to look for though, if you feel like finding something similar is a 360 (5x)Surface mounted LED with an output of at least 2.5watts

Basically that means there are some radial firing SMLEDS and one or two SMLEDS that shoot straight foward there should be 5 of them and they will be 1/2 watts each = 2.5watts.

You want more radial firing SMD's than front firing and you want it to be short like the stock bulb size.
Keeping it away from the front of the cluster and having more radial firing than front firing SMDs is what keeps the light spread well thus eliminating hot spots.
I tried to check his link, but it is outdated... :sad:

I think I know what kind of bulb he is talking about tho. It's the "soccer ball" looking one, correct? Sry, I have no access to my photobucket for posting that image of a bulb...

I'm currently trying to get rid of my hotspots, so if someone can verify the right shape of bulbs that he is referring, that will be awesome...

001Stunna

Reaction score
I tried to check his link, but it is outdated... :sad:

I think I know what kind of bulb he is talking about tho. It's the "soccer ball" looking one, correct? Sry, I have no access to my photobucket for posting that image of a bulb...

I'm currently trying to get rid of my hotspots, so if someone can verify the right shape of bulbs that he is referring, that will be awesome...

In my cluster ive used these...
T10-20SMD.JPG

17-83-home.jpg

*pics for refernce

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
Dude, that's an insane # of leds! Do you have any hot spots??

Dukebb23

Duke Blue Devils
Reaction score
I would just go with the superbrightleds. Switched out all mine for their stuff and they all work flawlessly with no hot spots.

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
^ I'm debating myself to get either one of those:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/more...led-bulb-6-smd-led-wide-angle-wedge-base/211/

http://www.superbrightleds.com/more...led-bulb-5-smd-led-wide-angle-wedge-base/206/

Which one are you using?

Also, I see that your gage cluster is pure white. I'll be able to make them white on my A/C unit by Mikey's thread, but is there any DIY thread on the gage cluster as well? I couldn't find it anywhere...

EDIT: Nevermind on the whitening out the gage cluster part... It was on the first page of this thread--talontsiawd's write-up. Duh..

Last edited:

Dukebb23

Duke Blue Devils
Reaction score
The second one is what I am using but I have the blue LEDs in there now.
The white that I had in there before was the same company and bulbs just a different color.

Just know you get what you pay for with LEDs

Back