Mah system (INSTALLED!!!)

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Re: Mah system

Why a ported box?

Ahhh....and so the debate continues.

Alot of people will argue the pros and cons of ported vs sealed.

Ported = louder/more air flow/lower frequencies
Sealed = more power/tighter bass

Personal preference/system requirements, really.

Some subs offer the flexibility of either setup, and some are one or the other.

lldumboll

Reaction score

nice work on the box! im too lazy to build **** like that. just throw a damn sub in the back and screw the amp down lol.

OneLoud00Accord

Reaction score

The BL would sound like garbage sealed. Spl oriented subs are not designed to be sealed, and therefore I built a ported box.

CHID0

Reaction score

Ahhh....and so the debate continues.

Alot of people will argue the pros and cons of ported vs sealed.

Ported = louder/more air flow/lower frequencies
Sealed = more power/tighter bass

Personal preference/system requirements, really.

Some subs offer the flexibility of either setup, and some are one or the other.

Not a debate really, i'm a noob and there are noobs out there who chose one over the other without being educated on the topic. I'm trying to understand what the reason for his decision was. Thank you for that info though, i knew the pros and cons but didn't know they were system specific....

The BL would sound like garbage sealed. Spl oriented subs are not designed to be sealed, and therefore I built a ported box.

i can dig it :thumbsup:

xx24xx

Reaction score

Subs built to perform require many custom components over normal subwoofers. Suspension, motors, basket design etc are all a part in a quality woofer. When you have moving components and add more power... you get more heat. Using a vented/ported enclosure is critical to ensure proper cooling of the voice coil.

I know what some of you are thinking. RE XXX right? Well FYI they don't do well in extreme conditions sealed, or vented/ported for that matter because the cooling sucks.

I'm not saying RE XXX is a bad sub. I like it very much actually. They are great for a daily driver in a smaller sealed enclosure with less power. Similar to a W7, although they are two different monsters.

Last edited:

SykVSyx

Reaction score

That was more of a quote than saying you were causing a debate. :redface2:

Always good to be informed, personally, I always wonder whether certain subs should even be mounted in anything but a ported box, but the manufacturer's provide specs for both, so..........:ughrun:

OneLoud00Accord

Reaction score

I most definitely need a better speaker amp.

hmm... 2000w rms 54mm of xmax... :147703263745b138a51

But actually the sensitivity is low and its heavy, its made to get loud while having a smooth flatish response with an authoritative low end... Id rather have a 12" bl over a 12" xxx since I can get more output with less power, but it will not sound as good or play as low... :(

Back