Manual Transmission and Traffic

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
I ran into an interesting debate on another board about the driving styles in traffic and pros and cons of keeping your foot on the clutch at red lights

so i wanna see who on here takes their car out of gear at red lights/traffic and who keeps the car in gear with the pedal pressed to the floor.

would their be any ill effects of doing the later in the long run(quicker worn throwout bearings, slippage, ect) since that is how i taught myself to drive?

discuss :coffee:

turboaccord98

Reaction score
I always take it out of gear because like you said it's bad for the throwout bearing and those aren't easy to replace. Plus my clutch pedal is pretty hard to hold down for long stop lights.

outsidaz2k

Reaction score
i take it out of gear as well.. it gets a little aggravating when you live in the city like I do and you have to hold on for dear life at every light lol

Erik123456789

Reaction score
I actually do both lol, when there isnt TOO much traffic i just use the pedal but when theres heavy traffic i put it out of gear because my clutch pedal is hard as **** and it makes my leg tired lol now my left leg is buff compared to my right leg. :lawl:

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
I actually do both lol, when there isnt TOO much traffic i just use the pedal but when theres heavy traffic i put it out of gear because my clutch pedal is hard as **** and it makes my leg tired lol now my left leg is buff compared to my right leg. :lawl:

+2 Exact same thing I do, same situation with me. Now, with my left leg I can't feel the pedal weight, I'm used to it. When I try to press it with right foot just for fun (not while driving), it's like a workout. Guaranteed by the time my engine is rebuilt I will already have lost the 'leg conditioning' for my clutch. Also, I plan to add an unsprung puck clutch for the new build, so that will add to the headache hahaha.

00accord91

Reaction score
i take it outta gear b4 i even come to a stop. i only hold the clutch down when i know its about to turn green..and if it doesnt...i take it back outta gear.

nexTOme

Reaction score

+2 Exact same thing I do, same situation with me. Now, with my left leg I can't feel the pedal weight, I'm used to it. When I try to press it with right foot just for fun (not while driving), it's like a workout. Guaranteed by the time my engine is rebuilt I will already have lost the 'leg conditioning' for my clutch. Also, I plan to add an unsprung puck clutch for the new build, so that will add to the headache hahaha.

+3 i do the same thing in one way 40 miles of traffic to work :coffee:

98ExAccordwv

I'm Old
Reaction score
When I drive a manual, I typically take it out of gear, just so I don't have to hold the pedal down.

Drift

Reaction score
My foot is only on the clutch to put it in gear, or change gears. At lights I'm out of gear until the light turns.

If you are sitting there with the clutch depressed at a light, you are putting major wear on the release bearing.

If Im in bumper to bumper traffic, I'll put the car in first and let it out and just creep along at idle. after 15 years of driving around Boston traffic, I've found this to be the best method.

Back