N/A to FI: AFAccord's 10:1 Comp Turbo F23 Build Thread/Restoration

AFAccord

Reaction score
very nice job :thumbsup: it's amazing to see an f23 with more than 400hp !

Thanks! I've seen others above that mark, but they look like chassis dynos which typically calculate flywheel hp rather than wheel hp. I guess the best way to compare would be at the track. :driving:

(In Borat voice) "very nice, High Five" :thumbsup:

BTW- I spent 2 weeks in germany. I was surprised not to see many Japanese cars. I have known seveal people who brought there cars from japan to germany. But, they must have traded them for beemers. Have fun.

Yeah, I love it there. I just have to make a few small modifications to the Accord when I'm home to make sure I pass inspection when I ship it. I'm looking to pickup another beemer when I'm there, but I'll definitely be keeping the Accord. Very much looking forward to getting some autobahn videos!

732xghost

Reaction score
I just read all 32 pages of this thread and have learned alot. Your attention to detail is inspiring. If i were ever to take my Accord to the next level, I will thoroughly re-read this thread again.

i have some N/A questions for you but to keep it relevant I will read your old N/A thread.

Chorilored

Reaction score
VTEC is somewhere around 2,900-3,000. We used a soft-cut ignition/fuel cut around 7,000-7,100.

Nice, Im going to set vtec that low to see the advantages. I would also love to see that needle hit 7k:wub: but not with stock internals. i think my pistons would crack.
Another thing, Besides the tuning what aspects of the engine got you to achieve higher hp than tq?
TB bore, higher compression and rev limiter?

AFAccord

Reaction score
Nice, Im going to set vtec that low to see the advantages. I would also love to see that needle hit 7k:wub: but not with stock internals. i think my pistons would crack.
Another thing, Besides the tuning what aspects of the engine got you to achieve higher hp than tq?
TB bore, higher compression and rev limiter?

That's considerably high for VTEC on an F23. Stock engagement is ~2,300rpm. It's designed for a cleaner and more efficient idle and low rpm cruising. We moved it around between 2k and 3k to see where the smoothest engagement was, and the best results were around 2,800 or so on my setup. Anyone who sets it higher than 3,000 rpm on an F23 is seriously misinformed and losing lots of potential in the mid-low rpm range.

We only set the rev limit that high because it made power that high. If the engine stopped making power at 5,500rpm, we probably would have set it to 6,000. It's completely dependent on where the motor makes power; there is absolutely no reason to rev these engines to 8,000 like I've seen some do when their power drops like a rock after 6,000.

The power band here is mostly influenced by the size of the exhaust turbine and higher compression. The throttle body is less than 60mm, and has almost nothing to do with power gains. A larger throttle body is primarily for throttle response. Just another false truth that Accord guys spread, just like throttle body spacers. Ignition timing also plays a role in how high the engine makes power. The better an engine responds to ignition, the more power you can make up top. That depends a lot on the competency of your tuner, but little things help too like the ceramic coated pistons to prevent detonation, proper spray pattern from quality injectors, and a free-flowing exhaust manifold to help gasses escape and prevent reversion.

Everyone thinks I did something super special here, but the reality is that I saved money in places where OEM parts work just fine (fuel rail, ignition, head, cam, etc) and put that money towards quality injectors, a good manifold, proper machine work, and a dozen other details that made this build what it is.

NASOHC

Reaction score
So awesome to see those numbers from your build... you truly took all the elements, resources and advise from pros and made this YOUR OWN! Congratulatiions bud ;) very good work indeed. It'll be a blast in Europe!

AFAccord

Reaction score
So awesome to see those numbers from your build... you truly took all the elements, resources and advise from pros and made this YOUR OWN! Congratulatiions bud ;) very good work indeed. It'll be a blast in Europe!

Thanks man! I'd like to install an EGT gauge and have my tuner log some 4th and 5th gear pulls to make sure everything's safe for some top-speed runs. :driving:

Chorilored

Reaction score
:beer:more Q's! what did you set your cam gear to? substantial power increase with it?
also are you planning on selling your stock diff?

AFAccord

Reaction score
:beer:more Q's! what did you set your cam gear to? substantial power increase with it?
also are you planning on selling your stock diff?

Cam is set to 0. Adjusted it during tuning but it didn't improve things so we went back to 0. I already got rid of my stock diff. It went with about 80lbs of other parts to the scrap metal yard.

Back