Parents won't let me mod

Igor

Under construction
Reaction score
I never got lucky enough to get a car from my parents, always bought my own, but this does sound like a problem...I would imagine, if you save and buy the parts, your parents just won't have a choice but to let you put them on...eventually anyway, they might be mad in the beginning

eggs

Reaction score
I know this is a terrible example to use, my parents were the same way when I was 16, but they started come around as you get older. When I bought my coilovers for my car, they gave me some grief about it. And I told them atleast it's not drugs. Prob not the best arguement to use but it worked give it some time save your money and they will come around. Show you can be responsible. Im 24 years old and my parents still bust my chops about modding my m3, but they always tell me how nice it looks

Tygahhhh

Reaction score
I used to be in the same boat, I had a cruddy corolla that I dumped money into and honestly i don't regret it because I learned a lot on working on that car that crossed over onto other cars that I've worked on. It's saved me a lot of money in labor. I never told my parents I worked on my car and everytime my car came back with a different mod i just said i don't know where they came from. They never questioned me....

juicebox00

Reaction score
Try doing "free" mods first like modifying your intake box and black housing your headlights. If you're able to do those mods without messing up the car or needing to replace anything, they'll probably have more respect for you working on the car. Plus you didn't spend any money so they can't be mad at you.

To gain trust from my parents, I kept my accord in immaculate shape. Washed weekly, used a car cover at night, waxed every 3 months, detailed interior with every wash, etc... They couldn't tell me to use my money to fix or maintain the accord because it was clean and well kept. Basically, just make sure to do all of the accord's basic maintenance so that it's in 100% tip-top shape.

When I was 17 I wanted to get halo headlights and ricer taillights, but my dad refused to let me purchase those. The first part I got him to budge on was an intake and everything was uphill from their. Try and find a common ground with them and break the ice on a mod that's simple like a strut bar. Just get a quality one.

Remember these things:
-No Ebay parts, used is better than that. I.E. intake, exhaust, suspension, etc. Check out the classified sections.
-You have an AUTO 4cyl. Bolt-on mods wont give you any power. Focus on suspension and wheels first if anything and make it look clean :)
-Have fun

PS - Clean up that engine bay....I wouldn't let my kid mod his car with an engine bay looking like that either.

Last edited:

White6GAV6

Reaction score
My parents bought my accord for me. That's just it though, they bought it FOR me. They wouldn't buy any parts though. At first I wasn't sure how they were going to take me modding it. So I started out slow with some blackhoysed headlights since my stocks were cracked. Then I got an intake. And just went on from there. My first major parts, wheels and coils, I just bought without talking to them. At first they were a little upset about it but then they didn't seem to mind. They see that it keeps me busy and out of trouble, plus I love working on it and I've learned a lot from working on it. Plus saved a lot of money doing it myself instead of shop.

Just start things out with the necessities, like replacing old/broken parts and then try some free or cheap upgrades like blackhoused headlights and an intake. But if you do work on your car, make sure you do it right and don't rush anything or cut corners.

sonni_kuba

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder how soon someone is going to start another thread

"My wife won't let me mod ..."

:boohoo:

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
Here comes a story:

I bought my car at 16, just about to turn 17. The paint was horrible, clear coat failing, exterior was pretty bad. Interior was beautiful, that's what sold me. I just wanted to get it painted and sell it, and buy something else. I did a little bit of modding before that, like a K&N ar filter (added sooooo much power lol) and I did the civic fogs right before painting.

I got it painted, I was about to put it up for sale, and my dad stopped me. He told me to give it a while, so I did. The car grew on me, and I started modding it little by little. My parents weren't too happy with it, but they said as long as you can keep up with the insurance, maintenance, and gas then it's your money to spend on your car But then came the day I lowered it. My dad now liked the car, but my mom still isn't too fond of the modding. I then got my TL wheels, and my dad loves that car, still thinks I shouldn't be as low as I am. My mom still tells me everyday that I'm going to take my bumper off.

But I paid for everything, so they said it's fine with them. They still think it's a waste of money though.

But if your parents bought the car, and it's in their name, then they are the owners of the car. So they can make the decision

Back