Tweeter upgrade?

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
the cheapest and easiest place to mount the tweeters (besides coaxially on the mid) is the mirror covers aka "sail panels." they're like $6 each from honda for replacements.

reverse the polarity on the driver's tweeter and youre good to go.

Namboyz

Reaction score
^^ hey ryan. how would i mount them on the sail panels? fiberglass? of just drill a whole?

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
most component kits come with a "flush mount cup." take off the sail panel and make sure it'll fit and allow the panel to clip to the door.

if you have a hole bit of that size, use it. if not, dremel time :lawl:

the cup is the silver thing here:
caep_0707_02_z+dynaudio_esotec_system_242+tweeter.jpg

Namboyz

Reaction score
^^thanks ryan. ill look into it. im thinking about getting some image dynamics xs65's. i hope they'll fit.

Namboyz

Reaction score
also do you know what mounting the tweeter on the axis means. i keep reading about it on diymobile but have no clue what that means.

thanks man

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
im not familiar with the IDs but they should fit. they're pretty common so they'll most likely fit lots of cars. with a homemade speaker spacer, lots of stuff fits in our doors :lawl:

on axis means the speaker is pointing at you, while off axis is mostly pointed away from you.

for most tweeters, i'd mount them off axis...in some cases, way off axis. smoother tweeters like silk domes can go on axis. a common thing to do is point each tweeter at the moonroof on the opposing side (driver's side tweeter aimed toward passenger's side of moonroof).

it takes experimentation though. i moved my tweeters more off axis the other day and it changed the sound appreciably...in a good way.

Namboyz

Reaction score
thats great info man. you and eggy really know your car audio. thanks man. your info has helped me out a whole lot.

ill see what sounds best. the tweeter is a silk dome one. i was thinking about pointing them at me but ill try the off axis first then.

i need to rep you. never done that before how do i? lol

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
the more i learn, the less i know ;)

in the upper right of the post, you'll see the post number with a scale next to it...that's the rep button. the exclamation point is for reporting stuff like spam :)

PaulD

Reaction score
the more i learn, the less i know ;)
I thought I was the only one

Also I have noticed that the stock locations in an Accord/TL type car are not as bad as you would think. The secret seems to be either you are listening to ALL reflected or as much direct as possible. Having both will murderize your image and cause all kinds of comb filtering.

Ryan ... if you mounted your tweets in the sail panels of a 6gth Gen, how did you avoid the huge reflection off of the jutting dash on the pasengers side ? When I tried it, I got 2 center images - one in the middle and the other right above the latch for the glove box.

hotaccord243

Reaction score
Ryan,

Thanks for all the info, you really know your car audio!
Is it overall worth upgrading the tweeters in your opinion? (do you really HEAR a difference)?

also when you say "reverse the polarity of the tweeters on the 6.5 in the door" what exactly do you mean?

The main reason why i was considering the upgrade is that well, its only like $50 for some rockford ones with crossovers, and it will allow that ugly cover that sits there now more clean with a new tweeter there. I was thinking i could mount it in the same location with the cover showing to make it appear clean and nice....

Thoughts?

Back