Diy: Bi-Xenon: Morimoto Mini D2S v2.0

AFAccord

Reaction score
This is not a completed project yet, but the hard work is done, so I decided I would share. This is not a DIY Guide (yet), just a series of progression photos from today.

I had some new black-housing lamps with clear strips that I bought to redo my last retro with these projectors, since I was under severe constraints and only had an hour to throw it all together. :duckhunt:

I spent twice as much time measuring and developing the best plan of attack as I spent doing the actual work. This project was really a pleasure to do, and I'm extremely happy with the results. So much, in fact, that I would be happy to retrofit these particular projectors again for other members. :deal:

There seem to be many Morimoto retrofit threads in the forum, but they either say nothing about fitting the projector to the housing, or they use the H1 projectors for a quick install. I have nothing against the H1 projectors, and completely agree with the benefits of not modifying the OEM reflector. However... I really don't trust quality control of rebased HID bulbs, and I believe using OEM D2S bulbs provides better output anyway. Call it elitist or whatever, I have no proof, but I don't care... :huh:

On to the pics!

Dremel'd out the first 'ring' inside the reflector where the tabs of the 9006 bulb mount
DSC_2025.jpg

From the back
DSC_2027.jpg

Different angle
DSC_2028.jpg

High-beam solenoid wires
DSC_2029.jpg

Need to put this through that little hole
DSC_2030.jpg

Tada!!
DSC_2031.jpg

We're in!
DSC_2032.jpg

Now for the big fella
DSC_2033.jpg

Daddy likes
DSC_2034.jpg

Now from the back
DSC_2036.jpg

Now take this ring
DSC_2038.jpg

Put it here
DSC_2041.jpg

And tighten
DSC_2042.jpg

Bulb goes in
DSC_2043.jpg

This ring secures it in place
DSC_2044.jpg

Set to go
DSC_2045.jpg

Lovely
DSC_2048.jpg

Now setup your test stand
DSC_2051.jpg

Oh, you didn't do this earlier??
DSC_2052.jpg

On your mark...
DSC_2053.jpg

Adjust accordingly, get it? Accordingly? lol
DSC_2058.jpg

Good enough for government work, let's seal her up
DSC_2062.jpg

And make it pretty
DSC_2064.jpg

Wut wut!! :coffee:

Last edited:

LowerMyCG5

Reaction score
Re: Diy: Bi-xenon: Morimoto mini d2s 2.0

damn. clean install.
cant wait for the finished product

Last edited:

DrOwZee

Reaction score

Wow looks good. only thing i dont like is the shrouds but fitment looks on point. Like the way these set/mount better then the mini H1. Cant wait to see final pics.

Got a couple questions.
How much is this running you total?
Did you chose that black shroud from others?
Any cutting/trimming involved besides the "ring" to house the projector?
Are you sealing it with JB weld and silicone?

RICKDIGILER

Reaction score

Cut off is really sharp, one question though what's with the dirty talk???

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score

Weeeeeeeee!!!!! Sick! :rock:

I'll DEF be doing my retros by the same method when the time comes.

AFAccord

Reaction score

damn. clean install.
cant wait for the finished product

It likely won't be completed for a while. I'm going to attempt to do an LED setup comparable to KnightRider's setup here.

Wow looks good. only thing i dont like is the shrouds but fitment looks on point. Like the way these set/mount better then the mini H1. Cant wait to see final pics.

Got a couple questions.
How much is this running you total?
Did you chose that black shroud from others?
Any cutting/trimming involved besides the "ring" to house the projector?
Are you sealing it with JB weld and silicone?

The black piece is just the projector lens housing. It comes that way to cut down on stray light and reflections. Once the shrouds are in place, you won't even be able to tell it's there.

Total cost? Haven't added it up yet...
Projectors
Ballasts
Bulbs
Relay Harness
E46 Shrouds
Resealing Glue
New headlights...

I think it comes out to about $390-400 when it's all said and done. Sounds like a lot, but it was in little pieces here and there, so I don't feel so bad. :Smoker:

So far, the ring of the reflector is the only thing I've had to cut, through I plan on trimming the reflector on the front of the headlight a little to clear the shroud once that's in place, as well as a small incision in the big "O" rings to route the high-beam wires out of the housing.

I'm sealing them with butyl rubber glue. Clicky

Cut off is really sharp, one question though what's with the dirty talk???

You like it... :ohyou:

Weeeeeeeee!!!!! Sick! :rock:

I'll DEF be doing my retros by the same method when the time comes.

Hit me up and I'll share some super secret tips with ya. :beer:

Narftastic

Reaction score

Wow looks great so far :thumbsup: ...cant wait to see it when its done and on the car!!

blackcord

Reaction score

Wow. That looks awesome!! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

I did my retro with Morimoto Mini H1 (also using Morimoto Bulbs and Ballasts) though and only chose this option because I did not want to do any cutting.

I was also thinking about using the D2S version only for the ability of using OEM bulbs and ballast. Although, Morimoto bulbs and ballast have good ratings (compared to aftermarket stuff), I did have one bulb and ballast fail on me over the past 2 years. One bulb was replaced under warranty and the ballast failed just outside the warranty period :mad: However, the great service from TRS makes up for this. :thumbsup:

With that said, If I had to do this over again, I would definitely use the D2S version.

Cant wait to see the final finished product!!! :thumbsup:

BTW, how will you take care of any projector rotational adjusts (if you need any). I know that you should still have up/down and left/right factory adjustment capabilities.

Last edited:

AFAccord

Reaction score

BTW, how will you take care of any projector rotational adjusts (if you need any). I know that you should still have up/down and left/right factory adjustment capabilities.

Rotational adjustment was done using the tape on the walls. The "Pass" and "Driver" tape is the cutoff for the stock 9006 bulbs before I did any cutting, so all I had to do was set the rotation to match that tape. Now, you could test-fit at this point and make further micro-adjustments, but I'm pretty much counting on the stock reflector cutoff to be straight, or else I'm SOL until I pull everything apart again. I've got faith though. :boink:

You can see where I have already taped the Passenger "XE" (xenon) cutoff and it was pretty much dead-on with the stock alignment the first time, just needs some height adjustments once it's installed.

DSC_2053.jpg

Last edited:

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score

have you tried fitting everything in the headlight with the lens on as well? only asking because i tried e46 shrouds with my mini h1's, and the projector sits wayyy too far forward for them to even begin to look like they'd work, and it kind of looks the same in your case. the shrounds on mine kept hitting the lens before it was even close to being able to seal up and i had to use the gatling gun shrouds that came with the projectors.​

Last edited:
Back