Question about building a 400hp+ F23

EmMinODaGreaT

Reaction score
Its really not as unfathamable as you guys are making it out to be.

All you are doing is building a motor, upgrading parts so to speak so that they can handle making power when you need to.

You do everything you need to make 400 whp if possible using

stock head,cam,im,sensors
built bottom end,stock sensors etc etc.
retain stock ecu,injectors,emissions components so that when its time you can reinstall and pass.
You dont even have to disconnect a charge pipe, just drive a dont see boost so that a stock map sensor which doesnt understand boost will not wig out.

This is a doable feat.

Rods
Pistons
Supporting turbo and injectors
IC and piping
wastegate
turbo manifold
stock sleeves maybe w/ a block guard for good measures
head studs
balance shaft elim

With a stock ecu,stock inj, and just a turbo spinning but not creating boost the engine's efficency is going to increase theortically creating less emissions. Because it is not working as hard.

It can be done. If you like, I'll just slap on a tad bigger turbo, and show you what a stock head can do. and pass inspection.

NASOHC

Reaction score
^ Yes... but he's talking about running an OBD1 setup and not a OBD2 compliant Management System - maybe if he ran an AEM EMS that clips on to OG harness without mods, then ok. Regardless... any alteration to compression running a stock ECU will result in negative emissions readings - Turbo or not.

You can't just disengage your turbo, change ecu's and expect to pass emissions. The engine bay, components, parts MUST BE stock. In appearance and application.

Be prepared to remove all of your turbo setup and install your stock exhaust manifold etc to pass every time.

rexload

Reaction score
this debate has alot of good info in it. :D and welcome to the boards! :D Im kinda stoked to see what you come up with!

Its really not as unfathamable as you guys are making it out to be.

All you are doing is building a motor, upgrading parts so to speak so that they can handle making power when you need to.

You do everything you need to make 400 whp if possible using

stock head,cam,im,sensors
built bottom end,stock sensors etc etc.
retain stock ecu,injectors,emissions components so that when its time you can reinstall and pass.
You dont even have to disconnect a charge pipe, just drive a dont see boost so that a stock map sensor which doesnt understand boost will not wig out.

This is a doable feat.

Rods
Pistons
Supporting turbo and injectors
IC and piping
wastegate
turbo manifold
stock sleeves maybe w/ a block guard for good measures
head studs
balance shaft elim

With a stock ecu,stock inj, and just a turbo spinning but not creating boost the engine's efficency is going to increase theortically creating less emissions. Because it is not working as hard.

It can be done. If you like, I'll just slap on a tad bigger turbo, and show you what a stock head can do. and pass inspection.

Thanks man, you are one of the few who know what they are talking about.

nyknick1015

Reaction score
^ Yes... but he's talking about running an OBD1 setup and not a OBD2 compliant Management System - maybe if he ran an AEM EMS that clips on to OG harness without mods, then ok. Regardless... any alteration to compression running a stock ECU will result in negative emissions readings - Turbo or not.

You can't just disengage your turbo, change ecu's and expect to pass emissions. The engine bay, components, parts MUST BE stock. In appearance and application.

Be prepared to remove all of your turbo setup and install your stock exhaust manifold etc to pass every time.

exactly what i was trying to say... every cars ecu is fine tuned to the specs that it left the manufacturer with. Any disparities (including changing pistions from the 8:8:1 to 8:5:1 will read oddly to the ecu. and that goes for anything else as well that is considered bolt on even if it doesnt throw a cel...

ALSO even if you boost and just disconnect the pipes and everything, i dont think u will pass anyway because your technically running a car with a malfunctioning turbo system. i dont think it will pass with it on. Add another couple hours to your timesheet there of stuff to remove

iHazSnail

Reaction score
For $20 extra, you can pass anyway without going through shenanigans if you know the right people. Being a turbo civic owner, i am sure you already do.

EmMinODaGreaT

Reaction score
You are correct but running an obd1 ecu has nothing to do with it, it is plug and play. you simply remove it, return most things to stock and drive on the STOCK ecu. Hence the legally passing emissions.

Unless you have a visual inspection of under the hood they dont give a damn. NO CEL, NO CARE!(here anyway they look for a cat,make sure your cel is off,functioning, and make sure no pending codes)

Altering the compression from 9:2-1 to 8.5:1 big deal, deck the head and block and gain your compression back, thats what I did...

And you can disconnect a turbo, take the charge pipe off. lol. no extra air in the cylinder, you have a big cold air intake. OR dont get into boost.

nyknick1015

Reaction score
yea but like i said which is the major factor is the area that you are in. in NYC that has one of the the strictest emission standards right behind cali says that if you have a car that is supposed to be OBD2 or what ever the new obd standard is and the car is not due to motor swap or modification, the car will automatically fail. If your area is anything like mine then good luck. If ur inFLA then ur in luck cuz they dont do inspections like that

ive seen mechanics jump cars like scan the sticker on ur car and do the emissions of another which will help u pass but i know my cousin has gotten in trouble for it at his job. most mechanics wouldnt want some stranger to cost them their job

Back