Question about building a 400hp+ F23

rexload

Reaction score
For $20 extra, you can pass anyway without going through shenanigans if you know the right people. Being a turbo civic owner, i am sure you already do.

Yes it is easy to do with OBD1... but with OBD2 I don't know any mechanic who would risk it.

Or are you talking about the visual part of the inspection? Then yes, the visual part will not be a problem.

rexload

Reaction score
This is not to anybody in particular... but I think some of you guys don't understand how a car ECU works.

First of all it is designed so that the same engine can operate in different parts of the world, different climates/elevations ON THE SAME ECU.
Just think about it, you can drive an Accord in 120degree weather and you can drive it in -10 degree weather. You can drive it at sea level and you can drive it in Denver at a mile above sea level.... at which point your engine makes like 10-15% less power than at sea level but it still runs on the same ECU!

It cannot tell if there is a change in compression! With such a minor change in compression, it will still run the same just make maybe 2% less power.

Also, IF an ECU was really THAT sensitive to changes and freaked out if the fuel mixture changed a tiny bit (which it doesn't), then nobody would be able to do any modifications to intake or exhaust without engine management and a tune. It can compensate quite a bit before it throws a CEL.

Drift

Reaction score
This is not to anybody in particular... but I think some of you guys don't understand how a car ECU works.

First of all it is designed so that the same engine can operate in different parts of the world, different climates/elevations ON THE SAME ECU.
Just think about it, you can drive an Accord in 120degree weather and you can drive it in -10 degree weather. You can drive it at sea level and you can drive it in Denver at a mile above sea level.... at which point your engine makes like 10-15% less power than at sea level but it still runs on the same ECU!

It cannot tell if there is a change in compression! With such a minor change in compression, it will still run the same just make maybe 2% less power.

Also, IF an ECU was really THAT sensitive to changes and freaked out if the fuel mixture changed a tiny bit (which it doesn't), then nobody would be able to do any modifications to intake or exhaust without engine management and a tune. It can compensate quite a bit before it throws a CEL.

You're right. The ECU uses a lot of different inputs in order to adjust it's outputs. Things like the baro sensor for altitude, o2 sensors for fuel adjustments, knock sensor for bad gas or high temps, etc.

BUT, if you do happen to drastically change the compression or the cam profile, you've changed the volumetric efficiency of the engine, resulting in the ecu not being able to fully adapt. It will, however, most likely run the engine. But you may damage the engine by running it like that.

Ive started my H22 with my f23 ecu. It starts, idles like crap, but revs up just fine.

Its possible to do what you are talking about. It just takes more time and money. The 400whp mark might be difficult to achieve on anything but a dynopack or dyno jet dyno though. I know for a fact that you wouldnt see those numbers on my dyno dynamics.

Back