ZFreak's RB26DETT Z32 300zx build...

ZFreak

Reaction score
Came across a cool little item on yahoo japan so I picked it up...

NISMO (Nissan Motorsports) Oil Filter Tree off a Skyline R33 N1 (used).

Eliminates the stock heat exhanger (oil/coolant) and creates a place for an external oil cooler (and other stuff if needed). The issue at hand is the N1 block has the oil filter tree slightly angled, whereas my "normal" 05U R33 RB26 block has ZERO angle. The problem this creates is the oil pressure sending switch (the silver thing with a plug on the back) hits the block. I need to find what I believe is a -4AN fitting or some sort of adaptor to make this work correctly.

However, if makes oil changes less messy, and less clutter under the already somewhat crowded intake side of the engine.

DSC_3981.jpg

DSC_3982.jpg

DSC_3983.jpg

DSC_3984.jpg

DSC_3985.jpg

DSC_3986.jpg

...and here some more parts that showed up:
DSC_3971.jpg

DSC_3972.jpg

DSC_3973.jpg

GlassJAw

Reaction score
What a strange problem with the oil pressure sender, I've been scratching my head trying to work out why it hits on the block and as to why Nismo would go through the trouble of modifying a block to mount their oil filter tree (perhaps they run a different oil sender unit??). Would make more sense to me to just simply make an elbow adapator and mount the oil sender at say a 45' angle??

Anyways I'm rambling and I appologise. What I meant to say is, that it's looking like it's all coming together very well and you must be anxious to get it completed. Firing it into life must be so close??!!

Last edited:

ZFreak

Reaction score
Well, after finding out that the oil filter tree's oil pressure sending unit is a BPT (British Pipe Thread 1/8) and EVERY single adaptor I've found is NPT and I'm not about to ruin threads.

That being said, I also ran into one other issue, that being the oil cooler lines (the holes for them anyway) are a FINE THREAD, M24 Metric. There's not a fitting in the world (at least this side of the world) that makes something that would fit that. It's almost double the size of the "standard" oil lines that aftermarket oil coolers run.

So because of that, I put the stock piece back on.

Continuing on:

I finally got the rest of the parts in from Japan and Canada (Nissan.jp and Ztune.ca) so I could put the transmission back together. Done, and done.

Now, the engine is FINALLY OFF THE ENGINE STAND!! We're getting close people!!!!!

So here's what's been done in the past few days and this evening:
* Drilled and tapped RB26 AWD transmission housing for RB25DET clutch slave cyl.
* Installed RB25DET Clutch Slave Cyl.
* Drilled and tapped 300zx front trans. cover for new placement of clutch pivot ball
* Installed NISMO chromoly clutch pivot ball
* Installed transmission front gasket
* Installed TO Bearing and clutch fork
* Installed pilot bushing, and OEM resurfaced flywheel
* Installed RPS Max 5-puck Z32 Non Turbo (240mm) clutch kit
* Took engine off the engine stand!!! (yeah, baby!)

Tomorrow:
* Take the old 300zx engine harness out of the car... I've been dreading this because I have to take the dash out, and it's just a big *** job I don't want to do... but now I have to.
* Bolt engine & transmission together
* Test-Fit the engine and transmission in the engine bay to see where I need to weld up the mounts to the frame.
(let the engine sit there so I can drool over it for awhile, then take it all back out to weld the mounts.)

Coming up:
* Weld motor mounts
* Paint engine bay
* put engine & trans back in
* Install -AN lines, fittings, fuel lines, p/s lines, etc.
* Install external wastegate (crossing fingers that no modification will be needed to the manifold!!)
* Install Power FC D-Jetro (air meter-less)
* Install Innovate LM2 Wideband
* Reinstall existing oil press, oil temp, boost, EGT, and fuel press. gauges.
* Reinstall EBC lines (Greddy Probec B Spec I...the old one!)
* Install radiator
* Install oil cooler
* Install exhaust

........start, and GRIN. :)

It's getting down to the little stuff.

Here's pics from tonight:

Drilling and tapping holes in the trans. housing for the RB25 clutch slave cyl.
DSC_3995.jpg

You can see the hole where the old clutch pivot ball was. The clean piece is the front cover off my 300zx, mated to the RB26 bellhousing. Again, amazing that it fits!
DSC_3997.jpg

Test fitting... it doesn't QUITE line up 100%, but I'll modify the hole on the slave cylinder for a little wiggle room to line it up better.
DSC_3998.jpg

OEM RB26 flywheel, resurfaced. Due the amount of power I'm putting down and a VERY agressive clutch, aluminum is out of the question. The only other options are the 2, 3, and 4 DISC clutches, which won't work for my application here.
DSC_3999.jpg

RPS 5 puck sprung, 650 ft-lb holding, 300zx NON Turbo (240mm) disc.
DSC_4000.jpg

Random pic of the engine touching the ground for the first time in about a year.
DSC_4002.jpg

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Build threads are just so full of win!

Appreciate the updates, the motor looks like it's coming along really well.

GlassJAw

Reaction score
For the oil line fittings you could try phoning a Komatsu Earthmoving Equipment dealer (being japanese they may have metric fittings) and if they havent got them you haven't lost anything from a phone call!!

9450erick

Reaction score
just read through the whole thread
its 4.41 am right now
crazy stuff man. where did you learn those sick mechanic skills u got(i want to go there to learn)
good thing, no labor fees lol
keep up the good work man
have u ever messed up anything that u couldnt fix

Last edited:

ZFreak

Reaction score
Taught myself through several different builds (Turbo KA24DE"T" 240sx, SR20DET 240sx (back in 1994, hah, and SEVERAL 300zx's....and of course now this)

The key is to not be in a hurry. It's a hobby. If you're under a time crunch, it doesn't become any fun to work on, etc. I enjoy doing it, and "it's done when it's done".

Normally, the two shops in the US that have done this swap charge about $18,000 for labor (eighteen-thousand bucks!)...being about 250 man hours or so (at around $75/hr) for the swap itself, not including bolt ons, etc.

9450erick

Reaction score
have u had the time to do anything else
been hoping to see more pics
have you ever messed up something u couldnt fix

ZFreak

Reaction score
Haven't messed anything up yet **crosses fingers**

It's been too cold (here in Texas, I know...right?) to get under my car at the moment, even in my garage, so I've just been waiting for it to warm up. My propane heater in the garage can't even keep it warm so I'm just waiting it out a few weeks.

Next step is to drop her in the car!

Coming soon!

Back